What's new

My personal best SOTD

This morning I got my smoothest shave ever....
I'll put it context first :smile:
I shave around a beard, so really I only line out my beard on my cheeks and my neck
I started as usual with Noxema after a hot towel.
Taking a tablespoon or so of hot water, I prep the Mitchell's Wool fat soap leaving this to the side to soak in it's bowl...
While the Noxema was sitting there I pick out the razor for the day, which happened to be my latest E-bay acquisition, a minty Shumate "Newport", the blade honed up wicked sharp. The Newport has a 5/8 blade and is short, and light, perfect for getting around facial hair, wrapped up in some nice gold celluloid scales..It is now named the "BlingBling" Razor by the Wife.
Some more hot towels to take off the Noxema, then taking my shave bowl sitting in the hot water, along with a Col Conk Best Badger brush, I used a Snurdle of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood shave cream along with a small amount of pure glycerin, this goes in the bowl sitting in the sink of hot water, to warm up, as I shake out the brush, and pour off the hot water that was in the bowl of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, the water of course goes in the shave bowl...
Building a lather with the MWF I continue until the brush is loaded well then move to the shave bowl with it.
The lather virtually explodes into mounds of thick peaks of Super-lather as the brush works it.
Adding just a little hot water brings the Super-lather to it full potential, more hot towels then a coating of thick rich lather on the face..As I wait for the lather to lift my beard, I strop up the Shumate, 20 laps on fine linen, and 25 laps on naked Russian leather.
Now I take another hot towel to my face and leave it there until it goes from hot to warm, this takes off most of the first lather..
I re-apply the second lather and shave, you can hear the blade snicking off the hairs
After another rinse with a hot towel and a third lather I make some passes XTG and ATG to clean up, using very little pressure....
Another hot towel rinse, then into a hot shower... after which comes,
a cold towel rinse, followed by a bay rum AS, which this morning was the Ogallala bay rum as a finish..
This combo was the absolute best ever
Just thought I would share :thumbup1:

Congrats...sounds like you've found your groove!

I need to go back and give my straight another try...it's just that there are so many DE razors to try first! :wink:

Glen - great shave! I think I saw that razor and it sounds like you got a deal! How about posting a picture of the razor cleaned up?

Top Bottom