What's new

Need razor similar to old style Muhle R41 open comb,, suggestions?

I need to get a new razor that is comparable to my old R41 that broke, with the older style open comb. The new style is like a lawn mower on my face :sad:

Last edited:
Have you tried any Merkur open comb razors? I haven't but that may work for you.

Also, you can't link to your FS threads. Just edit out your first sentence and link and you'll be good to go.

Oh ok, sorry.. I used to have a Merkur HD a while back, I don't remember too much about it. Maybe I should look it up to see which one I had. I don't remember not liking it.

Try our Dear old Gillette NEW (Short comb/Long comb). Some claim the short comb is tad aggressive than its long comb brother.
But its Ymmv kind of thing!!

I'm not sure if you wanted to replace your open comb razor with another open comb razor. I just assumed you did so that's why I mentioned the Merkur open combs. I haven't had a chance to use the Muhle 2008 R41 open comb or any of the Merkur open combs so I can't give you specific comments but I'm sure other members have.

Also, you can also post a Want to Buy ad in the WTB forum. Maybe someone has one they are willing to sell you to replace your old one. Just be sure that you post a picture or explicitly state 'open comb' or '2008 R41' so that you don't end up with another one of the new 2011 R41s again.

Finally, the following vendors have the Muhle 2008 R41 open comb in stock. If you do buy a new one from a vendor, you might want to contact him first to make sure it's the old open comb version R41.

Ok, so there's no model number, I just search for "Gillette New DeLUXE Long Comb" Is there a year I should look for?

You can still get the R41 2010 model (the one you are talking about) from at least 1 vendor. I'll look but someone else will post who it is before I find it :)

The Joris is a 99% match for the old R41. Not an exact match, but very close. I've had both.

If you can get your hand on a FaTip, they are the same razor.

Well, part of me says to get the same one, and part of me says to try something different as I might find something I like more.

Are there any razors that are recommended that work especially well on the chin area? I've been wet shaving for several years now and I still can't do well with the tip of the chin and directly under the chin,, really annoying..

Top Bottom