What's new

New Thuringer

So I just bought a vintage Thuringer but I am a little worried about how long it will last. It appears like it is getting a little thin.
I heard they wear faster than most stones, is this true?

Attachments

• $thuringer.jpg
    $thuringer.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 143
  • $turi.jpg
    $turi.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 145
I havent recieved the stone yet but from the pics it appears that the stone is about 1/4-3/8"
I tink this is about 1/2 of the original thickness

i like vintage thuri's, mine have served me well so far. it is approx. 7/16" thick. i have considered mounting on a board, i'm thinking maybe oak. lol tom

Wood may not be thermally stable enough if the hone is that thin and a strong glue is used. If you opt to bond it to something, another rock would probably be a better choice, such as slate or granite.

Edit: I mean for a 1/4" thick stone. A 7/16" stone of the size that small Thuringians come in should be okay without a backing.

Last edited:
The thuringer is already mounted to another stone. Im not worried about it cracking or breaking. Im concearned about wearing it through.

Unless you are a pro Honer doing several razors daily that stone should last you many many years.

Even if you are honing professionally several razors a day, a finishing stone that thick should last many years and more likely many decades (if not a century or two). Natural stones aren't made as thick as they are because there's any chance of you wearing through them any time within a hundred years. They're made as thick as they are so that they don't break into pieces (because rock is brittle) from bumps or pressure. (Well, the other reason is aesthetics, because "bigger is better".) Synthetic hones, on the other hand...

the thuringen is not a realy fast stone like you think i have one and it makes a great finisher and its not a soft hone either but you should be fine pics would be nice and how much$

I spoke to a veteran honemister who has an identical item. He confirmed it is a vintage thuringer. Not an Escher though.
Im thinking it was a good buy

I spoke to a veteran honemister who has an identical item. He confirmed it is a vintage thuringer. Not an Escher though.
Im thinking it was a good buy

No label = no Escher. All Eschers are Thuringians sold by the Escher company.
I have a small Thuringian coming in a few days, looking forward to try it. :smile:

They put Schwedensteins in razorboxes like this. From the pictures I can't tell for sure if it is one but I suspect it is. They're similar to Thuringians. I assume someone pointed this out to the seller which would explain the edit. I don't understand why someone would point that out to the seller though, giving info to ebay sellers will increase the price or increase the seller's future prices.

Schwedensteins are relatively soft so it will wear faster than harder stones, but it will still take a LOT of honing time before you wear it out :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom