What's new

Post a photo of you having a smoke...

In the porch, enjoying some Escudo.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1413154769005.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1413154769005.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 246
I use my cell too but find if I open up the photo in a photo editor and make a very minor change and save the results and post that picture it posts correctly in orientation. I assume that it has something to do with the resolution being to high directly from the phone.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use my cell too but find if I open up the photo in a photo editor and make a very minor change and save the results and post that picture it posts correctly in orientation. I assume that it has something to do with the resolution being to high directly from the phone.

Phone software should be smart enough to know what orientation the phone is in when the picture is taken. I know both Apple and Samsung cannot figure out how to fix this ridiculously easy problem.

They are both guilty of trying to give us the latest, can't live without phone feature that they won't perfect what is there. It makes no sense to me, as Apple does a fantastic job with computers.
Brian will be along shortly to punch you in the gizzard.

Phone software should be smart enough to know what orientation the phone is in when the picture is taken. I know both Apple and Samsung cannot figure out how to fix this ridiculously easy problem.

You are misplacing the blame, actually. Every phone with the ability to detect rotation integrates that into its photos. The problem is that there are two ways to rotate a photo, and not everything can deal with them properly -- especially web browsers and vBulletin forum software.

One way is to remap all the pixels and rewrite the image. The other is to modify metadata in the EXIF tag, giving any display/editing software the command that the picture is to be treated as rotated. If everything that processes/displays the image consistently obeys or ignores EXIF tags then you will get the results you expect, but if any one link in the chain doesn't play by the same rules as the others, you'll get unpredictable rotation status.

Phones and modern rotation-aware cameras save in the same actual orientation every time and simply indicate the correct rotation in the EXIF tags. This is the graceful way to handle it; it prevents potentially lossy resampling, excess I/O activity, excess CPU and RAM usage, etc.

Remapping all the pixels and rewriting the image is the old-school ape-with-a-sledgehammer approach, and it works every time if the EXIF rotation tag is removed. If the EXIF rotation tag is left then it will just display wrong everywhere except non-EXIF-aware software.

You are misplacing the blame, actually. Every phone with the ability to detect rotation integrates that into its photos. The problem is that there are two ways to rotate a photo, and not everything can deal with them properly -- especially web browsers and vBulletin forum software.

One way is to remap all the pixels and rewrite the image. The other is to modify metadata in the EXIF tag, giving any display/editing software the command that the picture is to be treated as rotated. If everything that processes/displays the image consistently obeys or ignores EXIF tags then you will get the results you expect, but if any one link in the chain doesn't play by the same rules as the others, you'll get unpredictable rotation status.

Phones and modern rotation-aware cameras save in the same actual orientation every time and simply indicate the correct rotation in the EXIF tags. This is the graceful way to handle it; it prevents potentially lossy resampling, excess I/O activity, excess CPU and RAM usage, etc.

Remapping all the pixels and rewriting the image is the old-school ape-with-a-sledgehammer approach, and it works every time if the EXIF rotation tag is removed. If the EXIF rotation tag is left then it will just display wrong everywhere except non-EXIF-aware software.
Two snaps up! (For all you old "In Living Color" fans)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom