What's new

Post a photo of you having a smoke...

Believe me, if it bothered anyone I happened to be working with I would refrain. That being said, most enjoy partaking in some form of our beloved brown leaf!
Then there is always the outstanding joke when someone is asked if the smoke bothers them and they answer yes they are told to find a new line of work!
:w00t:

That is an excellent point... and when I was smoking 2 packs of Camels a day, I was far more tolerant of campfire smoke than I am now.
I can see how being a non-smoker could present issues, no matter how good your PPE is.

That is an excellent point... and when I was smoking 2 packs of Camels a day, I was far more tolerant of campfire smoke than I am now.
I can see how being a non-smoker could present issues, no matter how good your PPE is.

Rich,
That almost sounded like a non smoker rant.
:tongue_sm

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389407632.669751.jpg

Some dunhill flake in a Neerup Bent Apple

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
$IMAG1273.jpg

Just made it. I ain't no woodworker, that's for sure. Had a hell of a time with the stem. As it is, it's a hard draw, and it can't pass a pipe cleaner. But I made it. We'll see how long it lasts.
$IMAG1269.jpg

Kilroy6644

I don't know. I made it from hardwood dowels I got at the hardware store. I did nothing but saw and drill. It really makes cobs look sophisticated.

Hardwood dowels are usually either poplar or oak. That looks like poplar. That's what I like to call a scrap pipe pipe. Nice work.

Kilroy6644

Thanks. I just wanted a pipe I made myself, and not being a woodworker, the kits are out, and there are no suitable corn cobs around here. I know I don't want to do the stem again. I threw away probably five or six because I couldn't drill the holes straight. As it is, this one barely works. I'm lucky that the holes meet at all, and thrilled that the drill bit didn't poke through the side.

Thanks. I just wanted a pipe I made myself, and not being a woodworker, the kits are out, and there are no suitable corn cobs around here. I know I don't want to do the stem again. I threw away probably five or six because I couldn't drill the holes straight. As it is, this one barely works. I'm lucky that the holes meet at all, and thrilled that the drill bit didn't poke through the side.

The beautiful thing about the kits is they are pre-drilled, so the only thing you need to do is complete the exterior of the bowl, and perhaps sand and polish the stem.
On the one I made, I like the "Cat's Eye" look of the unpolished lucite stem that I got from Mark Tinskey.

This entire pipe was made with nothing more than a band saw, dremel sanding drum, and 200 grit sandpaper.
Oh ya... and a wire BBQ brush to clean the bark off of the top.

It was literally completed in less than 6 hours, including staining and waxing.

$kittop-brushed.jpg$firstcuts2.jpg
$finalcut2.jpg$ready2stain1.jpg
$finished2.jpg

Kilroy6644

That is a gorgeous pipe. Way beyond my skill level. Maybe I'll stain mine if I think it will last a while.

Nice pipe! Are you doing another one for the contest/exhibition?

Not sure... I just picked up a stem for a project I was going to start 2 years ago but never got around to.
I'll probably do one... I should be able to find a free Saturday between now and August.
I'm thinking a 1/4-bend panel/poker/sitter/churchwarden.

You make sound so simple.

It really was. I wanted to do an octagonal bowl, "bending" into an octagonal shank.
Now, as can be seen in the 3rd photo, I can't even freehand cut a STRAIGHT octagon, much less one that is tapered WITH A BEND.... So I retained the only flat part that looked decent and rounded the rest into a kind of "freehand tomahawk" style.

That is a gorgeous pipe. Way beyond my skill level. Maybe I'll stain mine if I think it will last a while.

It really isn't beyond your skill level. My woodworking skills are horrible. If I'm lucky, I can get a straight cut with a miter saw. It's just a matter of being patient and working slowly to make it look like what you want it to look like.
The fact that you were actually able to drill the hole down your stem says that you are capable of making a pipe. That is NOT an easy task, and the reason that I buy the pre-drilled kits.
The bowl is already done, the draft hole is already drilled to intercept the bowl, and the shank is already machined to accept the stem.
It really is just a matter of taking a block of wood and cutting/sanding away anything that doesn't look like a pipe.

Looking back, it didn't even take 6 hours.
I checked the time stamps on the original photographs, and the first one, with the bark wire-brushed off, was taken at 2:09pm, so let's say I started at 1:30 to allow for setup and brushing the bark clean.
The last one, stained and polished, was taken at 5:33pm. 4 hours total, and that included drying time for the stain. The one above finished, but not stained, was taken at 4:08pm, so it was almost 90 minutes for staining and polishing.

The beautiful thing about the kits is they are pre-drilled, so the only thing you need to do is complete the exterior of the bowl, and perhaps sand and polish the stem.
On the one I made, I like the "Cat's Eye" look of the unpolished lucite stem that I got from Mark Tinskey.

This entire pipe was made with nothing more than a band saw, dremel sanding drum, and 200 grit sandpaper.
Oh ya... and a wire BBQ brush to clean the bark off of the top.

It was literally completed in less than 6 hours, including staining and waxing.

View attachment 402289View attachment 402290
View attachment 402291View attachment 402292
View attachment 402293

That came out Awesome! :thumbup:

Top Bottom