What's new

Let's See Your Packs!

I have Jansport Scout which is supposedly a child's model,but it fits me well and I liked the external frame aspect of it.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...-1B5B-E011-BB8E-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

I prefer to keep my tent and sleeping bag on the outside of the bag, and stash clothes, food, and anything else inside. It also has two external water bottle holders which can accommodate one 1L bottle each and is an excellent feature. Two liters of water will get me through a long day hike so I can filter water wherever I stop each night and never have to carry more.

The double looped fabric is also nice to attach smaller items via carabiners. This is how I carry my grill top for cooking, with two carabiners hooked through the grill and onto the loops. I haven't escalated to buying a gas stove yet as it is a tad expensive and I carry enough food that doesn't need to be cooked in case it rains.

That's an awesome bag; I especially like the two rows of loops on the front. I bet that does really come in handy.

This is my backpack. I love it.

$159_536_lg.jpg

I also have a great GoLite from about 2002, when they were making ultralight backpacks and didn't concern themselves with longevity. It's about 12 oz, and great for ultralight backpacking.

That's an awesome bag; I especially like the two rows of loops on the front. I bet that does really come in handy.

Thank you. I never was a fan of internal frame packs. I've always found external frame packs to be more useful for carrying things; like when you need to get a sleeping bag, you do not need to go to the bottom of your pack and empty it out. I also think they carry heavier loads better, but I've only ever used an external frame pack in actual conditions so I can't speak too much of internal frame packs.

Legion

Staff member
I just use an old Aussie army issue pack. I can sling lots of extra pockets, ammo pouches, whatever to the outside. It's good to be able to tailor the pack to the outing.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have been working on an idea with Jane Barron at Adler Stream Canvas ( http://www.alderstream.wcha.org/packs.html ) on a nice day pack customized to fit my needs. She runs a small cottage business maing a variety of packs, duffle bags and other gear from a heavy canvas or Codura nylon. She has many standard designs and seems willing to modify them when time allows.

I have attached a picture of a similar pack she made for a fellow that posts a blog I follow, La Vie Graphite.

Tony

Attachments

• $pack.jpg
    $pack.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 276

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have been working on an idea with Jane Barron at Adler Stream Canvas ( http://www.alderstream.wcha.org/packs.html ) on a nice day pack customized to fit my needs. She runs a small cottage business maing a variety of packs, duffle bags and other gear from a heavy canvas or Codura nylon. She has many standard designs and seems willing to modify them when time allows.

Tony, you and she should do a collaboration edition, with the backpack having an extra-long leather strAp that can double as a hiking/travel strOp. :w00t:

Legion

Staff member

I have attached a picture of a similar pack she made for a fellow that posts a blog I follow, La Vie Graphite.

Tony

Those look cool. I also REALLY like those jumbo field bags she makes. I'm a big fan of canvas and leather for this stuff. I just can't get into the modern materials.

You can't see my pack because it's covered in dust. Last time I back packed was about 7 years ago, right before my 1st kid was born. I've done a fair bit of backpacking in the high Sierras, New England, and a little in Georgia/Tennessee.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Those look cool. I also REALLY like those jumbo field bags she makes. I'm a big fan of canvas and leather for this stuff. I just can't get into the modern materials.

She has a small one that is designed as a travel / shave kit bag. Might have to try one out. The larger duffle type bags really interest me as well. I have a far less durable one from some off shore factory but her's are less expensive and made right here in the US in her own shop. I like supporting small businesses and am excited to get my backpack details worked out.

Tony

I have a Duluth Pack Wanderer that has seen hikes in the White Mountains and north GA mountains. It is also great to take to the beach. Simple and durable.

The Aether is kick-***. I would've gotten one but I needed a small hip belt and medium pack, or medium hip belt and large pack (can't remember now). I went with the Deuter ACT Lite, a version of their ACT that shaved quite a bit of weight off.

proxy.php

I find internal-frame packs to be superior for the type of hiking I do, and the separate sleeping bag compartment stores any of my bags and sleeping pad.

Also have a GoLite Odyssey Expedition for longer trips:
proxy.php

And a Mountain Hardwear Dihedral for short hauls or winter stuff (more of an alpine/climbing pack):
proxy.php

Last edited:
My pack looks like this-
proxy.php

Don't laugh its seen most of the Adirondacks trail and them some....

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. It replaced a Gregory pack 3 years ago that had 20 years of use on it. Went the ultralight route to extend my 3 decade old backpacking hobby. My base weight(no food and water) is now 16 lbs. This pack will not last as long as the Gregory but I can buy 2 of these for 1 of the old heavy weights. Wish I had gone ultralight years ago as now I can really cover the miles in comfort.

Attachments

• $file_2_1.jpg
    $file_2_1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 188
I wish I had a pic of my pack on this computer.....its a Kelty RedCloud 75, I used it for everything.......then I went and had a kiddo......That thing saw tons of miles as I was a boyscout...The kiddo is getting old enough now that she wants to go "walking" all the time, so it may get back into use soon!!

Top Bottom