What's new

Just bought first DE razor... How did I do?

Searched ebay this morning and saw this one for a BIN. I don't even know what kind it is other than a Gillette. I hope is cleans up and shave good. Can't wait for it to arrive.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice score! I'm sure you'll be happy with the way it shaves. I have a late 50's Flare Tip Rocket and although I have no idea how it would compare to yours, I get great shaves from mine would not give it up.

I know what its like waiting for things!! Painful to say the least. I have on order a very badge brush, a EJ89 and some blades from India. I was jonesing so much I went out and bought a crappy brush and have been practicing whipping up a nice cream (Proraso). Using the techniques I have learnt here and applying them using my regular razor lol

Hurry up and get here!!!

What is a good price on this kind? I paid $61 after shipping

If I had known about the Buy/Sell/Trade section here I would've bought my razor through fellow members. I see that there is currently a brand new Merkur going for $33!!! If I had the patience to wait lol

That's a No. 58 set that you've got there -- it's sort of a fancy version of the Rocket HD -- and $61 is not a bad price at all. Looks like it's got a little scuffing, but no major plating wear. Should clean up very nicely. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

I was jonesing so much I went out and bought a crappy brush and have been practicing whipping up a nice cream (Proraso).

If you bought that crappy brush at Shoppers Drug Mart you got yourself an Omega 10066 or 10005 (it's the only models I ever saw them carry). Both superb boar brushes that I own and love. If I'm wrong, do yourself a favor and go pick either one up for less than $15. You won't regret it. :001_smile

Yes No. 58 Mcdaddy Smack it right on the head. Its a Beauty and you got the case with it nice, That case has The Loop with it, That Loop where the Razor sits in is Made of Metal and wrapped around in that Red Material, you got a nice Case there and not easy to come by, You did good for $61.00 Dollares Amigo :eek:)

I'm under the impression that it's more than a Rocket HD with better knurling. I've been shaving with a #58 for a while now, and it's been the best solid guard TTO I've used so far. It's also definitely on the top of a lot of people's lists. The knurling takes an incredible shine as well.

Cased #58's used to go for double what you paid for until recently. In summary, (though YMMV, etc.) you pretty much bought an ideal first razor. Maybe even an ideal last razor.

If you bought that crappy brush at Shoppers Drug Mart you got yourself an Omega 10066 or 10005 (it's the only models I ever saw them carry). Both superb boar brushes that I own and love. If I'm wrong, do yourself a favor and go pick either one up for less than $15. You won't regret it. :001_smile

London Drugs and Wilkinson brush. I do have to make a trip to Shoppers because I want to try the Proraso pre/post shave cream.

That is super nice case! The inside top doesn't have the measles. Great score! The knurling on the 58 is wonderful.

-jim

Top Bottom