What's new

Hard water problem: Water Bobble solution?

I have somewhat hard water.
Water quality itself is very good where I live.
In facts it's the best tap water in the world :001_smile.
But it is a bit on the hard site.
I have looked at Brita filters and kept it open as a solution.
Since our water quality is so good I never buy bottled water.
I buy a bottled energy drink, drink it, rinse the bottle properly, then fill that with tap water.
Now I accidently stubled upon a product called the Water Bobble.

bobble is a stylish, reusable bottle that filters water as you drink, using an ingenious replaceable carbon filter. When water passes through the filter, the carbon removes chlorine and organic contaminants. bobble is intended for municipal tap water making water better, with every sip.
bobble is a beautiful, sleek alternative to single-serve plastic water bottles, which harm the earth (and your wallet). Every filter equates to 300 single-serve bottles. After a year, you’ve removed thousands of bottles from the environment, simply by filtering the water from your tap. bobble is free of BPA, Phthalates and PVC. And it is guilt-free as well. Enjoy!

I don't think it makes hard water completely soft, but it might "take the edge off" if your water is not very hard, but slightly hard. Plus you will want another one, this thing saves money on water bottles, and even with the best water in the world; it can become more pure.
Better tasting, healthier.
Here is a video on it.
Also just found out they also have a jug style filter, maybe better suited for in the bathroom?
Both product are available in different colors and the Bobble in different sizes.

So, anybody know this?
If so, what do you think of this product group?
If you use anything else, filters, distilled water, how is that working out for you?
Any thoughts, comments, as always, are welcome.

$bobble_med_blue_385x650.jpg

Last edited:
Hard water is caused by dissolved Ca2+ and Mg2+. Activated carbon won't removed them at all. It might make your water taste better, but your shaves will likely be unaffected.

Water filters don't soften water, they just remove impurities and chemicals. Sorry, if you want soft water then a water softener is needed. If you own your own home it's a wise investment, not just for shaving but for just about everything else in the house. It saves your pipes, faucets, dishwasher, coffee maker, pretty much anything that uses water.

Thanks dcobranchi, I will only buy the bottle then, and just for drinking, not for shaving.
I'm afraid I rent Foyle, I don't want anything to do with maintenance.
The way I see it, renting is pure luxury, I'm paying a little bit more to have full service, no repairs.
Not to bash home owner ship, but it's not my thing.
Guess I will try distilled water.

Last edited:
Municipal water should be more than clean enough to drink straight from the tap - Brita filters are pretty much a scam in most of the Western World.

Municipal water should be more than clean enough to drink straight from the tap - Brita filters are pretty much a scam in most of the Western World.

The one vaguely legitimate claim about them is their removal of chlorine from water. It is usually present in trace amounts as a result of the water treatment process, and some people claim they can taste it.

I think I can taste a slight difference between fresh tap water and filtered water, but I think the change in the amount of chlorine is undetectable and I what I am actually tasting is an excess of potassium from the filter. This is of course assuming that it is not just a placebo effect, I've never gone so far as to pour cups of water whilst blindfolded.

BTW, I don't own a filter and think they're a waste of money, but my parents use one.

Pssst... Wanna see what tap water looks like after you take out most of the H2O?

$DistillerResidue.jpg

This is what's left in my water distiller once it's done its job on raw (London) tap water. It smells terrible.
If I put filtered water into the distiller, I get virtually none of this residue.

Sometimes people argue that the minerals in tap water make it healthier for you than distilled water. I'd like to hand them a glass of the above muck and ask them if they'd like to add it to clean water before drinking it.

I think I can taste a slight difference between fresh tap water and filtered water, but I think the change in the amount of chlorine is undetectable and I what I am actually tasting is an excess of potassium from the filter.

It's actually pretty easy to detect the change in conc. in Cl2 in tap water before and after filtration with a swimming pool tester. The conc. in many municipal water supplies during the summer months is often on the same scale as the conc. in your swimming pool.

Detecting the chlorine by taste is harder than detecting it by smell. Cl2 has a distinctive (and disagreeable) odor.

Daryl [/chemist geek mode]

Thnx all.
Guess no Brita filters then as well.
But like I said, in the province I live we have the most pure tap water in the world (or one of, it was best in world in 2011).
Not to brag or anything, just saying even though those pics show yellowish water I don't think it's that bad here.
But I also believe it can get better because even though it filtered, it's not natural.
It's not water from a pure mountain spring.
On the other side most bottled water that says "from a natural source" here is just ground water,
exactly the same as the water pumped up for regular use.
Maybe I still try the water Bobble thingy.
More importantly, for really good soap I will use distilled water all the time.
I don't have really hard water so for other soaps I just use a bit more product I guess.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Zero Water system? I haven't tried it, but it seems to be different that simple water filters in that it affects water hardness. Just curious if this could be a fairly easy alternative to whole home water softeners, buying distilled, etc.

http://www.zerowater.com/

Has anyone tried the Zero Water system? I haven't tried it, but it seems to be different that simple water filters in that it affects water hardness. Just curious if this could be a fairly easy alternative to whole home water softeners, buying distilled, etc.

http://www.zerowater.com/

Q. ZeroWater® vs. Softeners

A. Water softening systems exchange sodium or potassium with calcium to avoid calcium buildup and allow soaps to lather better. They are not meant to improve the taste of drinking water.

So... I guess this won't do.

Pssst... Wanna see what tap water looks like after you take out most of the H2O?

View attachment 210672

This is what's left in my water distiller once it's done its job on raw (London) tap water. It smells terrible.
If I put filtered water into the distiller, I get virtually none of this residue.

Sometimes people argue that the minerals in tap water make it healthier for you than distilled water. I'd like to hand them a glass of the above muck and ask them if they'd like to add it to clean water before drinking it.
I'm with you 100% on not drinking tap water, I haven't done so for the 25 years, It can never be as clean as purified water, not to mention all the mind numbing chemical "they" put in the water to weaken our minds :skep: Go West Young Man, you should run for president.

Q. ZeroWater® vs. Softeners

A. Water softening systems exchange sodium or potassium with calcium to avoid calcium buildup and allow soaps to lather better. They are not meant to improve the taste of drinking water.

So... I guess this won't do.

I'm confused. I thought you wanted the water for shaving, not drinking. It is supposed to be a comprehensive system which removes the hardness and filters it. The "Zero" refers to zero dissolved solids, aka completely soft, unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
Thnx all.
Guess no Brita filters then as well.
But like I said, in the province I live we have the most pure tap water in the world (or one of, it was best in world in 2011).
Not to brag or anything, just saying even though those pics show yellowish water I don't think it's that bad here.
But I also believe it can get better because even though it filtered, it's not natural.
It's not water from a pure mountain spring.
On the other side most bottled water that says "from a natural source" here is just ground water,
exactly the same as the water pumped up for regular use.
Maybe I still try the water Bobble thingy.
More importantly, for really good soap I will use distilled water all the time.
I don't have really hard water so for other soaps I just use a bit more product I guess.

Ground water is going to be just as pure and natural as mountain spring water. the only difference will be if there are contaminants entering the aquifer where the water is being pumped from. and that is something that will affect mountain springs just as easily as wells.

glad to hear you have good water though! our water is ok, but not great. in town it is worse cause the municipal water supply tastes like crap.

I'm confused. I thought you wanted the water for shaving, not drinking. It is supposed to be a comprehensive system which removes the hardness and filters it. The "Zero" refers to zero dissolved solids, aka completely soft, unless I am missing something.
Yes, in the Q&A I think they say that unlike softeners, there focus is on taste, not on softening water.
I also would take there "studies" with a grain of salt.
But if it would work then that would be great.

Last edited:

View attachment 210672

There's no way that city water is coming into your house with that kind of residue. London water is among the best in the UK(http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...al-london-tap-water-is-the-best-in-britain.do)

Maybe your taps or pipes are old/corroded/leaking/etc?

Top Bottom