What's new

Dr. Martens Made in England

Every pair of Docs I have ever owned are made in England. Tough to find (without ordering) in these parts. Plenty of Vietnam made ones, but from outside appearances, they are not of the same quality.

Last year, I found a pristine pair of English Docs in a yard sale. Paid 8 bucks for 'em. They're one of my favorite pairs of shoes.

I wouldn't own a Chinese pair.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
After wearing my last pair of docs for the past 7 years, I was in the market for a new pair of boots. I knew i did not want a pair of the regular production docs, after seeing the shotty construction, I had considered the Jeffery line, but in the end decided to go for a pair of the Red Wind Iron Rangers.

I had also tried to find someplace in the US that sold the Solovair boots. They are identical to the UK Martens, the only difference being the pulltab in the back of the boot, but couldn't find anyplace that wasn't in the UK.

I had also tried to find someplace in the US that sold the Solovair boots. They are identical to the UK Martens, the only difference being the pulltab in the back of the boot, but couldn't find anyplace that wasn't in the UK.

Solovair are actually made in the same factory that Doc martens were made in originally. The factory is owned by an independent company, and when doc marts decided to move abroad the factory carried on making them the same as they always had done, just under a new brand name. So really the solovair are more genuine than the real thing.

I bought some chinese Docs before I heard of solovair and regretted it, I'm just waiting for them to wear out before I get some English ones.

From what I have heard you shouldn't have to wait long.
They're coming up to two years, but I don't think they'll reach a third. The only problem I've had with them is the quality of the leather, the toes scuff too easily and the vamp is so cracked that it feels like sandpaper, if I wasn't so careful about how I look after them they'd have disintegrated long ago.

Thanks for the link to Solovaire. It's on my faves now. It's so nice to know you can still get these boots at the original quality, which was apparently very high. I have no problem at all paying the money asked for, if they're going to be comfortable and dependable for 5-7 years.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
How is the fit on the Solovaire? Would you say they are narrow like the England made Docs? They have some beautiful black cherry/oxblood that I would like to purchase if they are wide enough

British made everyday-wear boots and shoes are getting to be a rarity now. There are only a small handful of UK manufacturers remaining from what must have been dozens 25 years ago. How long will DMs continue to be made in the UK we can only guess.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are John Lobbs still made in Northampton?

IIRC, there is the family-owned business in England as well as a version of Lobb owned by a French luxury house (Hermes? dunno for sure) that operates out of Paris, with satellite stores worldwide wherever the uber-rich shop.

Ah man I didn't know you could still get the England versions. I think I purchased 2 pair of the china ones and they where not the same. Im gonna have to get some now.

They really are worth the extra price. I have some made in Taiwan ones. They are great too but wear faster and are made with a different (cheaper) kind of leather.

I'm still wearing a pair of Doc boots that I picked up in the UK twelve or thirteen years ago. Still going strong. On the other hand, I bought my daughter a pair of the Asian-made boots and I honestly think that whatever difference there is seems to be negligible. I suggested the Solovaire, but I could tell that she wanted Docs. She's been wearing the heck out of them for more than a year and they are in great shape.

Top Bottom