What's new

Have to ditch my brand new running shoes. Not happy

It was my own fault. I only had a good look at Mizuno's website AFTER getting 2 pairs of shoes, one of which are Nexus Wave somethings- I think 5. These are honestly as good a fit as I've ever had in footwear, ludicrously comfortable and very light, but since I underpronate and these are "moderate" overpronate correctors, there is no way I can wear them. I didn't notice it in the shop and the ladies that served me were in no way trained to give this information, instead simply trying every pair they could to get something in my size. They were actually very nice. I spent so long searching for "real" running shoes without doing 20 mins online research. It didn't occur to me that a product of this nature would simply be there to ruin the knees of any unsuspecting person!
Since getting them I've worn them on one night out and around the house for a couple of nights. They have a slope of something like 15 degrees, so that my feet are constantly tilted with the outside of them lower than the inside. I notice that without even running, simply walking round the house, there is increased pressure on my knees at an un-natural angle which makes it more difficult to lock them. When wearing them I assume a very slightly knock-kneed position, just standing waiting for the kettle to boil and after a couple of days of this I decided it just wasn't right. After my night out I was conscious of my knees in a way I never have been before, as if I'd been to yoga or something. I did get one very good pair of Mizunos, their basic table-tennis shoes, which are very comfortable and totally conventional. Obviously there is no way I'd going to risk my health over a pair sneakers; there is no question I'll continue to wear them, but the thing is I can't just leave them out to be picked up by a person in need, as I risk passing the problem to them! I'm gutted.
I wonder if anyone has experience of using overpronate-correctors to correct overpronation?
Is this another bad idea or does it have it's place?

Legion

Staff member
I have no idea. When I was younger we used to run hundreds of miles in Dunlop volleys, which are pretty much the poor man's Chuck Taylor converse. After that it was standard issue army boots.

I dunno. I have this same discussion with SWMBO. I had to sit for ages while she was fitted for the worlds most expensive sneekers, which she only seems to use for walking the dog.

Ignore me, I'm grouchy and old. But this whole tailored sports shoe seems like a rip off to me. Primitive man was happy enough running in his bare feet. IMO, as long as your shoes don't squash your toes, and stops broken glass and syringes entering your soles, they are doing their job.

OK. Let fly at me.... NOW!

Thank goodness they were only 400 yuan on sale. But that's 400 yuan down the drain. I learned a lesson though and now know a little bit more about human mechanics.

Ha!
No way would I go through the hassle. I can't even remember which mall I got them in, we were in so many. I'd have to spend 100 yuan on the train, then pick up my friend to translate, then buy her lunch; probably end up spending 200 yuan at least on the day. I think it's highly unlikely they'd refund unless there was a failure of the shoe and even then they'd probably tell me to send it back to the manufacturer. I had to shout for 35 mins, twice, to get Decathlon to get me batteries for a Suunto they sold me....after sellling me the wrong batteries for it.

I gave mine away once not too long ago. I had bought a new version of a shoe that I had worn for a while, but they had made some changes to it and it hurt my feet terribly. So I set them aside and was rather upset about it. I don't know why companies have to change shoes so much that they don't work as well as the last version but that's a different topic. Anyway, the new pair I bought was very similar in color scheme to the pair that hurt, and one afternoon I decided to take my bad pair and donate them. About 3 days later I was looking for my new pair only to realize that I had donated them! So I essentially was out 2 new pair of shoes and was really upset with myself.

Not that this will help you at all but I had to share.

I decided to get another pair of Duponts last night after work- not running shoes but I wanted to get a bargain before the sales finished and felt I had to "make up" for my mistake. The place is gone, as is the Ostrich stand, which is a decent company for good prices. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board.
Anyone had good experience with New Balance?

I wear a stability shoe as I'm an over-pronator. I'm currently running in New Balance and I like them just fine. I had previously been an Asics guy.

I agree with legion regarding our history as barefoot runners. We tend to get a little carried away with shoe technology. I've used Vibram Five Fingers and my stride seems to do okay. Using a neutral or minimalist shoe might be okay with conscious stride correction, but using a shoe designed to correct over-pronation when you're an under-pronator could do some damage. Good luck in the hunt for the new kicks.

I have no idea. When I was younger we used to run hundreds of miles in Dunlop volleys, which are pretty much the poor man's Chuck Taylor converse. ... IMO, as long as your shoes don't squash your toes, and stops broken glass and syringes entering your soles, they are doing their job.

OK. Let fly at me.... NOW!

:lol1: When I was a kid, we bought our "sneakers/basketball shoes" at a dime store and ran around for almost ever in those cheap canvas/rubber things... or in summer, barefoot.

As an adult, I never got the "running addiction", but one of my brother-in-laws had it until his 3rd knee surgery ... he sure misses the "rush".

Top Bottom