What's new

TFS Bergamotto Neroli - First Impressions

Those are my #1 & 2, so I'd be curious if anyone who has experience with all three can compare them...

i have all three (and more) . they all work great. i can't put any ahead because performance to me seems about equal..vastly different scents which i enjoy all three depending on my mood.

i have all three (and more) . they all work great. i can't put any ahead because performance to me seems about equal..vastly different scents which i enjoy all three depending on my mood.
Thanks to a little sample trade (thanks Dave!), I've got my hands on a bit of Bergamotto Neroli. This morning's was the first shave I've had with it. Scent is wonderful. Had a bit of a lather shortage toward the end of my shave, but I believe that was more a function of loading from the sample container than anything else. Lather was very slick. It's definitely very fine stuff, but I'll need to do a couple more runs with it.

I have all their soaps at the moment, the blue tube (sandalwood, sensitive), red tube (cocos), ice cream (scent=Cella), the Neroli & the Tobacco Verde. I have become a fan of TFS. The blue red and ice tubs can be compared with Cella, slickness and protection wise, but lather up quicker (and Cella is already easy and fast to lather!). Still love my Cella though!

Last edited:
I have the BN, and the red and blue tub TFS's as well, and all three have exceptional slickness. I'd personally say they may not build as dense and "cushiony" lather as says AdP and MdC, but as mostly a straight shaver slickness is the number one quality I'm looking for, so they all score highest numbers for me. In the beginning the scent of the BN was a tad too sweet for me, but it seems to have calmed down a bit, now it's just yummy! :smile:

I began to create lather on my face and the first thing that struck me was how quickly and easily this soap lathered. I have seen it compared to MdC, now I know why, a small amount of product goes a long way and the lather is plentiful.
It dissolves rather easily, yes. People used to loading for a minute might need to cut down drastically... :001_tt2: However, I've also noticed that it would not seem to be as long-lasting as other products, even when corrected for this effect.

The quality of the lather is definitely another reason people make the MdC comparison, truly fantastic, slick, cushiony lather.
A little different in general, yes. Quite logical too: high stearic acid content. But not different from any other product containing lots of stearic acid. If you like this sort of thing, TFS will easily fit into the scheme of things. If not, ... Well, plenty of other stuff out there. I won't be restocking TFS, in any case, but it has been a pleasant experience all the same.

Overall, TFS is absolutely a force to be reckoned with and can hold it's own next to just about any product and in my opinion is appropriately priced and I will definitely restock this item...if i ever finish it. If you get a chance to try this product, I highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed!
Whether or not it is 'appropriately priced' is something I harbour a strong opinion on I have stated elsewhere already, so I won't repeat it. However, one tip for the shaver on a tight budget: if you want to experience the TFS shave without breaking the bank, I recommend you try the the regular Barbe Rosse variety with a P.160-like sweet almond fragrance. (Think amaretto here. The website says 'cocos' but that is... well... bovine scatology.)

Last edited:
Yes the red does not smell like cocos but almond, however, not like Cella.
They also have a "Ice cream" soap, in a squared plastic transparent container which almost exactly smells like Cella.
Smelling both tubs you will smell a difference, but when lathering up they smell very alike.
And indeed, YMMV. To me the Tabacco & Neroli are absolutely worth it, not only for it's performance,
but also for it's quality ingredients.
Their high ends soaps should last much longer then their regular soaps though, so cost-per-shave isn't that high.
Add up the fact it's all quality, natural ingredients, and it's not that expensive for a hand made soap.
At least in my opinion. You could also try their less expensive soaps, I bet you will be impressed!
IMO TFS's price/quality ratio is excellent.

Last edited:
Their high ends soaps should last much longer then their regular soaps though, so cost-per-shave isn't that high. Add up the fact it's all quality, natural ingredients, and it's not that expensive for a hand made soap. At least in my opinion. You could also try their less expensive soaps, I bet you will be impressed! IMO TFS's price/quality ratio is excellent.
I have doubts about the cost-per-shave ratio in case of the high-end products; I however have no such doubts in case of the less expensive soaps.

Last edited:
I have doubts about the cost-per-shave ratio in case of the high-end products; I however have no such doubts in case of the less expensive soaps.
It is really simple, if you use Cella, or TFS Barba Rossa you will soon see a dent.
If you use the Neroli you will not for a long time.
I'm not saying they are equally priced, or cost-per-shave is lower with the Neroli,
but because it is so effective it isn't that expensive anymore.
I also like as much lack of chemicals and as natural as possible.
If you have had a few allergic attacks to soaps, washing liquid etc you'll know why.
But you would have to try it to really see it's cost per shave.
Unless you already have with a quality high end product and have a general idea.
But whatever works for you, whether it's Williams, Tabac or MdC, as long as YOU get a good shave!

It is really simple, if you use Cella, or TFS Barba Rossa you will soon see a dent. If you use the Neroli you will not for a long time.
Yes. And that is chemically and physically very iffy. At least in my universe, to the point of 'breaking known laws of nature'. Perhaps it's high time the producers of these soaps submitted detailed analyses of their product to various journals in order to qualify for a few Nobel prizes...

It is really simple, if you use Cella, or TFS Barba Rossa you will soon see a dent.
If you use the Neroli you will not for a long time.
I'm not saying they are equally priced, or cost-per-shave is lower with the Neroli,
but because it is so effective it isn't that expensive anymore.
I also like as much lack of chemicals and as natural as possible.
If you have had a few allergic attacks to soaps, washing liquid etc you'll know why.
But you would have to try it to really see it's cost per shave.
Unless you already have with a quality high end product and have a general idea.
But whatever works for you, whether it's Williams, Tabac or MdC, as long as YOU get a good shave!

Yes. And that is chemically and physically very iffy. At least in my universe, to the point of 'breaking known laws of nature'. Perhaps it's high time the producers of these soaps submitted detailed analyses of their product to various journals in order to qualify for a few Nobel prizes...

No, I think El-a-Menthol makes a valid point. Some products do lather more efficiently, thus requiring less product per shave than others. This is matter of chemical composition and/or density, and does not require suspension of any laws of nature. Some of these products tend to be in the "high end" category, and are widely viewed as expensive. The point he is making, I believe, is that the difference in price, per shave, is not nearly what a unit-cost-to-unit-cost comparison would seem to indicate, and as such it is perfectly reasonable (if one so chooses) to pay the extra few pennies per shave to use a product that gives one the results that he is seeking. The crux of the matter, as he explicitly pointed out, is that one should feel free to use whatever product one enjoys using:

"whatever works for you, whether it's Williams, Tabac or MdC, as long as YOU get a good shave!"

Last edited:
Other soaps makers can often accomplish this as well, but is much more expensive,
the longer a soap dries, the more time, space and heating is invested, making it more expensive.
Sometimes you pay for a name, but in general you get what you pay for.
People often say "this is just as good as XXXX high end product", while it's often simply not.
Also people nowadays have a harder time recognizing quality compared to pre-war times.
But quality does not always go noticed, otherwise IKEA's "disposable furniture" would be out of business a long time ago.
It is the other way around, most people accept inferior products as long as the initial price is lower.
The long term price is often not lower though. And some are even more expensive, like Gillette carts.

Last edited:
Some products do lather more efficiently, thus requiring less product per shave than others. This is matter of chemical composition and/or density, and does not require suspension of any laws of nature.
You're welcome to open a new thread, where I will be happy to expound my point of view: that of a chemical engineer.

The crux of the matter, as he explicitly pointed out, is that one should feel free to use whatever product one enjoys using: "whatever works for you, whether it's Williams, Tabac or MdC, as long as YOU get a good shave!"
Which I don't argue with at all, because that wasn't the point I was making :).

Top Bottom