What's new

Ralph Lauren Safari

I know RL Safari was discontinued and was (is) a highly regarded Tallow first shaving soap. I've seen it for sale on eBay BIN for $40. Worth it? Maybe, but I'm not willing to pay that much to try it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280785655656&hlp=false

My question is, was it brought back and reformulated? Is there a not tallow first (or non-tallow) version? The reason I ask, is that I saw RL Safaris for sale on Amazon for $14. Is this the same stuff? There's no ingredients listed on Amazon, so I can't tell.
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ralph-Lauren-Shaving-Soap/dp/B0009JLXFI

As far as I know, there was only one formulation, the stuff on Amazon is legit tallow goodness. It is a great soap BTW.

It's great soap but to me not worth $40 for a puck. Go for some DR Harris for that price. There was a member here that bought a whole bunch of stock and was selling it for about $15 a puck until he was out.

I know RL Safari was discontinued and was (is) a highly regarded Tallow first shaving soap. I've seen it for sale on eBay BIN for $40. Worth it? Maybe, but I'm not willing to pay that much to try it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280785655656&hlp=false

My question is, was it brought back and reformulated? Is there a not tallow first (or non-tallow) version? The reason I ask, is that I saw RL Safaris for sale on Amazon for $14. Is this the same stuff? There's no ingredients listed on Amazon, so I can't tell.
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ralph-Lauren-Shaving-Soap/dp/B0009JLXFI

This looks like new old stock.

RL Safari is my daily shaving soap. It works great for me.

The Amazon price is as low as you'll likely find for this soap, unless someone comes up with another stash and sells it here for less.

I never actually tried it, although I had a puck in my possesion. The scent is quite strong, very cologne-ey (as one may expect), it was just too much for me in the smell department.

I have a puck. It's a good soap, not the best but not the worst. As Seraphim said, the scent is overpowering. I enjoy the scent so no problem for me, but I can see how it would cause problems. As far as $40, based on performance alone it's not a $40 soap. If you throw in the discontinued card, well you'll have to be the one to decide. I was searching for info on the Amazon soap, the thing I found interesting is that the only way I could find it was with an Amazon site wide search. Going to the vendor's store front I could not find any way to find it. I don't know what that means, but I found it strange. If you have a spare $14 that you can afford to lose on a soap you don't like, I'd say go for it.

I bought the Amazon Safari ~2 months ago and it has the Tallow listed among the first ingredients. It's worth $14.00 not $40.00, and the scent will knock you off your feet the first time or two, if it mellows, than it really takes awhile!

Gentlemen,

I have used this fine soap on and off for several years. My first introduction was when I received a gift of this soap in a pewter mug from an aunt in NYC. I received the same gift from her later on and really enjoyed the soap enough to look for replacement pucks in recent years. In my opinion, it is a fine soap worthy of a place in my rotation. I agree with others that it is well suited for fall and winter shaving. One caveat may be the scent for some. I happen to enjoy it in the soap. The cologne does not get good reviews here so I have not tried it but I find the scent in the soap to be very enjoyable.

I agree with others that I would not spend $40.00 on this... or any other puck for that matter. It is certainly worth $14.00 in my view.

Regards,

Doug

I pulled this pic off a B&B thread from about three years ago. It seems some had surfaced at the ~$15-20 mark and the fellas were debating trying it. It indeed lists tallow at the top. View attachment 210555

Soap-geek observation: that's an interesting formulation. The lack of any potassium tallowate or sodium stearate indicates that the soap must have been made as two separate soaps in two separate processes which were then milled together. One possibility is that they used their standard men's bath soap as a base which they then combined with a potassium soap containing only refined stearic acid and coconut oil. I think Trumper's used to do something similar with their pre-reformulated (i.e. pre palm oil) shaving soap though I'm pretty sure that both their bath soap base and shaving soap base contained tallow. What this means as far as the RL Safari soap goes is that desirable shaving properties of tallow haven’t been exploited as well as they might have been due to the lack of any potassium tallowate. Also according to the order of the contents, the level of sodium salts present appears to be greater than the level of potassium salts (this is normally the other way around). I’m not saying this is a bad shaving soap, just that it probably could have been made better.

Gentlemen,

I have used this fine soap on and off for several years. My first introduction was when I received a gift of this soap in a pewter mug from an aunt in NYC. I received the same gift from her later on and really enjoyed the soap enough to look for replacement pucks in recent years. In my opinion, it is a fine soap worthy of a place in my rotation. I agree with others that it is well suited for fall and winter shaving. One caveat may be the scent for some. I happen to enjoy it in the soap. The cologne does not get good reviews here so I have not tried it but I find the scent in the soap to be very enjoyable.

I agree with others that I would not spend $40.00 on this... or any other puck for that matter. It is certainly worth $14.00 in my view.

Regards,

Doug

The cologne is the same strong scent and I do like it better than the Shave Soap, definitely a one or two spray cologne.

This is definitely a great tallow soap with a wonderful scent. I need to find the cologne if it smells the same. I always get a great shave using this soap.

I have no experience with it, but there is so much good soap available that isn't 40 bucks, I'd have a hard time spending that on a puck of anything. That said, I do have a jar of MdC coming, so rules are made to be broken

I was cleaning out my den last week and found a Safari gift set. No soap, sadly, but it contains 2 full-sized bottles of RL Safari, one with a pump spray, the other a splash. I must have been around 12 when I got it - I must not have liked it, lol.

Top Bottom