What's new

Omega and Proraso Shave Soap...same stuff, different price?

If Omega and Proraso shave soap are the same, why the significant price difference? Omega is around $3-$4 cheaper for the same amount in the exact same container. It is the same stuff, right?

If Omega and Proraso shave soap are the same, why the significant price difference? Omega is around $3-$4 cheaper for the same amount in the exact same container. It is the same stuff, right?

It is said here it is basically the same, just a little less menthol. I only have Omega, so I can not compare. Omega works fine for me.

I shaved side by side with them last year and found them to be completely interchangeable. I believe Omega used to contain lanolin, but I know it no longer does. I have even read where several posters preferred to have the Omega tub instead of the Proraso tub because they felt the black color looked better in their shave den.

It is said here it is basically the same, just a little less menthol. I only have Omega, so I can not compare. Omega works fine for me.

If Omega has less menthol than Proraso, I'd hate to see what Proraso feels like! My face is a bit sensitive to menthol and I sometimes get irritation after 2-3 passes from my Omega.

I just got some in a tub today in their soap and brush set. I knew that soap smelled familiar!

@McEwenC

I think the members were saying that the Proraso has less menthol than the Omega. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I do remember having both Omega and Proraso "creams", and if memory serves correct....the Omega was more mentholated. If you are sensitive to menthol....why not get the Proraso sensitive (the one in the white jar/it has no menthol). I have used that and it is great. Some people in the review section have complained about the smell. I personally liked it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I shaved side by side with them last year and found them to be completely interchangeable. I believe Omega used to contain lanolin, but I know it no longer does. I have even read where several posters preferred to have the Omega tub instead of the Proraso tub because they felt the black color looked better in their shave den.

Yes, it used to. I recently finished off an old formula tube of Omega. It is sorely missed. I found the old formula to be vastly superior to Proraso.

I used Omega for the first time today. It has a light scent, so no fragrance allergy issues. It lathered easily and in terms of performance during the shave, I'd put it just under Razorock XXX. After the shave I felt I had an even balance of moister, just right. And hours later I noticed zero irritation and my skin looked very smooth. (I've found it's best to wait a few hours to make the call on how well a shave cream/soap REALLY is. Because way too many seem to have done well initially, but only seem to cause issues later in the day.) It seemed to help prevent razor bumps WAY better than some other brands. Omega is definitely a KEEPER for me.

Top Bottom