What's new

Some advice while I wait

Recently ordered the sight-unseen deal from Whipped Dog. While I wait in anticipation, I would like to pick the brains of you learned gentlemen. Been reading a ton and have learned alot that will hopefully serve me well when my straight arrives.

I do have a question on lather though. What is the general feeling for a straight lather vs. a lather for a DE shave ? I believe I have read that thinner is better somewhere but wondered what you guys thought.

Thanks !

I tend to have my lather thinner, makes it easier to see what you're doing. Also I've found that this tends to make the lather slicker too.

Yeah many soaps are way slicker when lathered a little wetter than you'd think would work, don't skimp on product though.

But there's few exceptions, some soaps are slickest when lathered quite thick, like Proraso and Dovo shaving "cream".

Do some tests by yourself, make some lather, make it quite thick and check it's slicknesss between thumb and index finger, then gradually add water and test each step, for some soaps you'll really feel the point where the slickness really changes.

Great advice. Thx. Been wet-shaving with a DE since July and found a lather routine that has served me well for DE. Guess it's time for some experimenting.

As for some more general straight advice. Your straight might not feel super sharp when you first try using it, that's because you don't have the technique down, there's a fairly steep learning curve to this. It's quite typical to see "Halp, my shave ready straight is dull!", when it's really not dull... :smile:

I'm learning that the edge is much more delicate than I first thought. It's very important to maintain the edge.

I am preparing myself for a tough go the first while. That way if it goes somewhat smoothly I'll have exceeded my expectations. I know better than to doubt Larry's honing skills after reading nothing but positive things about him. Thx again gents.

I am preparing myself for a tough go the first while. That way if it goes somewhat smoothly I'll have exceeded my expectations. I know better than to doubt Larry's honing skills after reading nothing but positive things about him. Thx again gents.

Good plan. The pulling that we will likely feel at first is going to be technique, not in Larry's honing. Looks like you got the right mindset.

Watch a bunch of YouTube videos. That's what I did when I waited and it helped me out a bunch. Helped with the confidence the first time I used it which I think really helped. I think going too slow can be about as dangerous as to fast.

Good plan. I was watching some but I have been spending all my shaving reading time on stropping and honing with a coticule. I better brush up on my basics or I definitely won't exceed my low initial expectations. Thx Brent.

I'm just making a suggestion, but for a few shaves with a straight, stay away from your chin. Just for a few shaves. Work on your cheeks and get the feel of the blade there and your neck. Straight shaving isn't rocket science, but it will cut you at every mistake. Of course this is just my opinion...JR

I'm just making a suggestion, but for a few shaves with a straight, stay away from your chin. Just for a few shaves. Work on your cheeks and get the feel of the blade there and your neck. Straight shaving isn't rocket science, but it will cut you at every mistake. Of course this is just my opinion...JR

+1. I have about 10 straight shaves under my belt so far and I find the chin the most challenging area. I also find that because I'm slow, my lather dries out. Trying to shave with dry lather is terrible, so make sure your lather stays nice and wet by relathering during your shave if you have to.

Good luck and have fun!

+2. Good advice. Also, though it may be hard, you may want to wait a few days after you get the razor and strop kit before you use it. As you've probably seen in other journals and advice, it's really easy to nick your strop when you're learning how to strop. For me, my first strop looks like it was in a knife fight. Since you got the deal from whippeddog it's not the end of the world if you nick it (I had a really nice latigo strop) but nicking the strop can damage the blade and then you may have to have someone hone it - and that can take a while.

So, long story short, the first few days I suggest just practicing stropping with a butter knife. Once you get confident doing that then I'd jump in with both feet.

More excellent advice. You'll laugh but I have been practicing with a normal knife on my belt (not still on my pants, I don't want to be a gelding). Just focusing on flipping on the spine not the edge.

Thx again gentlemen for the advice. I'm sure I'll be picking your brains down the road.

Last edited:
HA! That is a bit funny but it's a good idea. I jumped into using straights really quick and didn't get some of the practice tips and cut up my first strop something fierce!

Top Bottom