What's new

Captain’s Choice - another reviewer weighs in!

Great review for a great product.
The "Bay Rum splash" is a regular part of my morning routine.
Thanks for a wonderful product Captain!

Well deserved review. I love the spicy smell, and how it feels against my face. Set up another round, Captain, I'll be needing one soon!

A great product. Something neat about the final scent is how it somehow manages (to my nose) to scream both winter and summer...a rare accomplishment. Cheers!

Received my sample last week. Definitely like it - a nice spicy scent. My wife, however, still prefers the Ogallala Bay Rum w/Limes and Peppercorns...guess I'll have to buy both.

How long does it last? I know that varies from person to person but does it fade quickly or last a while?

There are a ton of variables at play to answer your question. Smokers, for example, can have a compromised sense of smell; how much you apply; the time of year (hot or cold out) can play a role; personal preference and more.

After tabulating over sixty responses from guys who used it the general consensus was that it lasted over an hour. Many, many reported detecting it up to two or even three hours following application but noted it was not overpowering, just “there.” Two wished it lasted longer, “than fifteen minutes.” So it is all over the board but heavily weighted toward it (conservatively) lasting over an hour. It does not fade quickly based on my own use and the feedback from the survey.

I have used it for the past week and I find that it lasts ~6-8 hours on me. I do apply it heavily in the morning though.

Same as Bigsurprise. The smell lasted long enough that I could shave before work, and still smell it on myself in class (About 14 hours, but I sit in the A/C all day and have a pretty sensitive nose, hence my dislike of flower smells). Thanks to this product and some of the soaps I use, many people do ask me why I keep sniffing myself. I guess unless you are sweating hard or have a different type of body chemistry, it should last quite a while.

I got my Captain's Choice in a week or so ago, and I like it - It has a very nice cinnamon and clove finish. I even used it in a recent shave video, where I was challenged to sharpen a Spyderco s90v Military knife to shave ready. Check out about 10 minutes in for the Captain's Choice cameo :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine lasted the longest the day I got married. I splashed on a bunch around 12:30 pm and was still smelling it when the reception was over at 11:30 pm. Maybe because of my nerves and excessive heat? I don't know. It was one of the best days of my life that I would never like to do again...sheesh!

Just tried the sample I got in the mail today, and whoa does it burn! I mean I haven't used an alcohol based AS since last summer but man, it feels good and smells even better. You've created something that smells delicious enough to eat Captain! :bayrum2:

I want another bottle, and if it wasn't for the sabbatical I would be ordering, but want is not need. My favorite AS.

Be careful with those samples though, the Captain isn't exactly on the street shelling out "the first one free" but it is the same thing. :p Few bucks now, lifetime of awesome Bay Rum will be in your future. At least it isn't an addiction that people will point to you in disgust about, not so much as hovering around you sniffing happily, so I hope you are a social person.
Just picked up my second bottle actually, as my first was almost halfway through. >_< Man this is good stuff!

I got mine a few days ago and absolutely love it. It's the best I have found that I like.... I like it is a bit more viscious and not so watery like some bay rums, I believe that is from the glycerine. Great color, great smell and doesn't napalm your face after a nice close shave.

I was recommended this blend of bay rum by Leisureguy since I am not too fond of the scent of cloves and after my horror experience with GFT's bay rum (All cloves) I wanted to try another bay rum but it seems it does not ship internationally. Does this have to do with alcohol content making it hard to ship? If so I'll just have to pass but otherwise I could make my friend over in the states to mail it over to me.

Top Bottom