What's new

An easy method for lathering Mitchell's woolfat

Good morning gents-
Thought I would pass along somthing I tried this morning. To make lathering Mitchell's Woolfat soap easier I added two teaspoons of water to the bowl my puck of soap is in, which by the way is microwave safe, and I put the bowl in the microwave for twenty seconds. Then I poured the excess water out of the bowl and proceded to lather with my brush which had been soaking in water for about ten minutes. Well, I produced a mound of lather in less then a minute. It worked great for me hope it works as well for all of you.

Tom

One probably has to be very careful with this procedure. I have been told that heating MWF can result in disaster. I personally found that simply adding hot water to the puck and letting it sit for a minute works quite well. Best - MM

I often take a couple of spoons of hot water and let it sit on the soap while the brush is soaking. Afterwards I pour the water in to my mug and pick up the softened soap with my brush. The same works with Tabac.

I would not suggest nuking any soap - the potential to ruin the soap is always there and the more you do it, the more likely you are to degrade the soap.

I found I was having difficulty lathering up my MWF, so here are my tips:

1) The MWF can get quite hard - softening it will make lathering much easier - here's my method:

Pour a couple of teaspoons of water onto the soap, cover and leave sit 24 hours - do this again until the soap won't absorb any more water (you'll know when this is the case because there will be a pool of gelly-like substance on the top - this means the soap is saturated). During this process, the soap will swell up quite a bit and at the end, it will be harder than a glycerine soap, but still much softer than after it has been sitting around for a bit.

If you use the soap infrequently, just add a bit of water on top the night before and it will re-soften. If you use the soap frequently, just do this on an as needed basis.

2) I've found that the MWF lathers well in a bowl/mug/scuttle, but that it shines when lathered directly on the face - if you're having problems getting a good lather with this stuff, try this.

Hope this helps.

I just started a new little box of this stuff yesterday, and none of this was needed. Does this sort of problem develop over time?

Paul

P.S. Got a fine shave with the MWF, I'm sure no one is surprised.

I just started a new little box of this stuff yesterday, and none of this was needed. Does this sort of problem develop over time?

Paul

P.S. Got a fine shave with the MWF, I'm sure no one is surprised.

Hmm, I have to say the same, my MWF worked great from day 1 and is still working great for me. :drool:

I think a lot depends on how you normally use lather soaps. I have always used a mostly dry brush and I tend to load the brush with a lot of soaps. Maybe I am wasting some product I don't know, but it works well for me.

Top Bottom