What's new

Historic and Instantly recognizable photos

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The recent thread about the GI shaving at the Battle of the Bulge got me to thinking about historical photography.
By this, I mean photos that have worked their way into our lives (or should) because of the significance of the event they portray, because of sheer circulation - a sort of "flooding of the market" if you will, or because, for whatever reason - they captivate and capture the viewer.
Certainly some can be both - This photo of the flag raising at Iwo Jima is both instantly recognizable, and it documents a significant point in history.

$flag-raising-on-iwo-jima-0002.jpg

Others may be instantly recognizable, but do not denote some specific point in history, such as the famous "Afghan Girl" photo.

$afgangirl.jpg

And still others may pinpoint a significant point in history, but not be instantly recognzable, such as the first flight at Kitty Hawk.

$First_flight2.jpg

I have included a few others here, see if you recognize these photos, and what they portray historically.

$40fb30cad4b78196_large.jpg

A Few more;

$Oswald.jpg

$JFK JR Salute.jpg

$Hindenburg-disaster.jpg

$42211.jpg

So what photos do you "Instantly Recognize"?

Which photos should be included as "must see" for everyonre as a marker for History?

What photos should be included in this list simply because they capture the viewer in an indescribable fashion?

Last edited:
Good post! I am lucky in that I recognize all those pictures and their historical significance, save one. I didn't recognize Harry's last one. I ran into it though while searching for my own picture to post. So I was looking for the same subject matter. Here is one.

$View_of_Crowd_at_1963_March_on_Washington.jpg

Ah, thank you. For some reason I have never seen that picture much less knew the significance. I took note of the Nazi salutes and the hand on the heart but that's as far as I could decipher.

It's Jesse Owens winning a gold medal at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. The silver medallist behind him is doing a Nazi salute.

How about calling this one "Bees & Honey"?

It's Marlyn Monroe surrounded by Clark Gable, Montgomery Clift, Eli Wallach, John Huston (director) and Arthur Miller (her husband) on the set of "The Misfits" (1961), one of the greatest American films.

Attachments

• $TheMisfits.jpg
    $TheMisfits.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 616
Funny, When I read the thread title, the second picture posted (Afghan Girl) was what instantly popped into my head before I even opened it up to read it. Great pics all, keep em coming.

Zapruder film

proxy.php

Yalta Conference

proxy.php

Nixon leaving the whitehouse

proxy.php

USS Arizona burning

proxy.php

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Great additions guys!

I certainly didn't mean to impy that only earth shattering news events are what I am speaking of. Iconic photos are welcome as well.

Who doesn't instantly recognize this?;

$abbey-road.jpg

Top Bottom