What's new

Paging Marco (and other boar users) - soft soap recommendations for boar brush ...

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I am 8 months into this thing and I really have not given the boar brush a chance. After much reading here, I have decided to get the Omega 49 Professional.

Also, although I like C.O. Bigelow and TOBS creams-- a lot -- I find myself coming back to Tabac, RazoRock (Linea Officina), and QCS creams (pretty much like the soft soaps). I started an all soap guy, gravitated toward a torrid romance with creams, back to a more balanced rotation, and now moving more and more to soaps again.

So, I am looking for one more soft soap to get when I order my Omega brush. I have read about Cella, and I suspect it may be too sweet for me. I like the RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna, but that is as sweet as I want to go. I like C.O. Bigelow cream, so I suspect the Proraso soap (green tub) would be good. I found the Omega soap on their website, but it appears that may be a Proraso clone, much like C.O. Bigelow is the cream clone??

Are there other soft soap products that would be good matches for an Omega 49? I have not seen a lot more soaps other than these called 'soft soaps', and that is what I am looking for, as I gather this is the combination the Italian barbers have favored for decades? Am I right?

Just because it's a boar brush, don't dismiss the hard soaps also. Boars will work just as effectively with those too. If you want a soft soap, then Valobra, Crema di Sapone Purissima Almond and Menthol are excellent(non tallow though).

There's also Vitos and Fiori & Frutti.
Also an outsider, the Calani soaps. Not really soft, but also not the triple milled type.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thank you wimbouman. However, as idiosyncratic as our taste can be, and as hard as it is to describe scents, it would be helpful if you could give a little guidance on scent? I am leery of the way some folks describe Cella as 'sweet'. I really hate the stuff younger guys use these days (Axe?).

I like the RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna, but I tend to prefer stuff with a more earthy, masculine or barbershop type scent, as broad as those descriptions are.

Almond, for instance, is instantly suspect since it can go overboard on the sweet so fast. It starts smelling like Amaretto and I'd hate it.

Also, Tabac and RazoRock both have tallow, yes? Although I've had good veggie soap experiences it is clear to me that I am leaning toward tallow as a necessary ingredient. For me. Funny, I just noticed my rotating description under my name now includes Tallow. perfect timing! :lol:

Thanks!

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I guess I should be more specific. I am looking for

1. Tallow soap suggestions that you have used extensively with a boar brush, which you think works well with boars,

2. It could be soft or hard, I suppose, as long as you have used it with your boar with great success, and

3. It should not be too sweet. Lavender and some other florals are fine, Amaretto or moder scents like Axe are not fine

Finally, please do not reply in here with your favorite soaps if you DO NOT use a boar brush. I am looking for suggestions by boar fans for a new soap to try with my first boar brush. I have plenty of experience with good badger brushes and other soaps. Of course a soap may work just great with both (sounds like Tabac may fall into that category), but I am looking for recommendations from boar brush users today, not badger brush users.

Thanks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
John, I think you could like the RazoRock Third Eye (Sandalwood scent), which definitely is masculine to my nose.

My sister smelled Cella, and said "Dr. pepper!"

I thought she was crazy, but a fresh kilo does resemble it!

I use Cella about 90% time, its lathering ease, slickness, and cushioning make it my favorite soap.

I have used omega boars and badgers, both work great!

I would suggest you go to Gregs Sample shop, and pig out.

Cella is a great scent, and it does not linger, my colognes are not affected by it.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks, Marco, I'll give that a whirl. I am so completely delighted with my first foray into RazoRock, I will gladly try that. If I may, I'm torn between these two brushes. The Professional, 48 (top) and 49 (bottom). Any thoughts?

$61OkcpBCYTL.jpg

$51ZDSGRMC3L._SS420_.jpg

I have yet to try a soap or cream where my badger brush does not work better on all counts. The benefit of boar, to me, is that it's scrubbier on your face if you want that action.

Cella smells like marzipan (sweet almond paste) but once it's shaved off you don't have a lingering scent that I can detect.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
John, I think that Cella is something that, regardless of scent, you should try anyway. Regarding your brush choice I think the 48 and 49 are pretty close.

+1 on the SOC.
Great boar at a good price point.

A great tallow soap to start with would be Arko.
It is cheap but effective, but to be fair; the citrussy scent is something not everyone favors.

In the QCS range - I found these to lather well with a boar - Basilica, Sandalwood and Old Spice come to mind.

Fiori & Frutti is an bitterish almond, I think it resembles Cella.
Maybe Marco can chime in here?

Another tallow soap I like with my boars is MWF.
That one contains lanolin also. Nice clean, soapy smell.

Calani is not a tallow based soap if I am correct (see http://www.calani-seifenmanufaktur.de).

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, we have consensus on the Semogue, that's amazing! I cannot find the owner's club on Amazon, though and I have a basket full of stuff with free shipping ready, so I'm sticking there. They have the 1470

$41zt-IiJ2eL._SS500_.jpg

The 1520

proxy.php

The 2000 -- looks to be closest to the Omega 49

proxy.php

and several others on this search page. Any suggestions from among those? I'm not shopping elsewhere because of the order I have stacked up already. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...&field-keywords=semogue+shaving+brush&x=0&y=0

Attachments

• $31p7tmcBmOL._SS500_.jpg
    $31p7tmcBmOL._SS500_.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 543
  • $31p7tmcBmOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    $31p7tmcBmOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 544
On that page, there's also the legendary 620.
Very good brush, with extra 75% tops boar hair.

The 2000 has so called White Premium 90% tops mixed with White Super 70% tops hair.

I'd consider the 620.

(All info from Vintagescent.com)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Of those listed on the Amazon page I have the 1800 and the 1250, both amazing. The 2000 seems a great choice and looks quite close to the SOC.

I use the 49 with soaps and cremes. I tend to agree with you on the idea of sweet almond scent and did not like the Cella scent when I bought and tried some. However, after using it exclusively for a number of weeks the scent grew on me and I like it quite a bit. Now it smells like a good shave... It also pairs well with the boar, but that's neither here nor there as Cella works with badger and synthetic (just as boar work with cream and hard soap...).

For another soft soap other than Cella, I recommend Valobra. You can get it on Amazon shipped for about $12. I think Cella is superior, but Valobra is mighty fine also.

For a good boar brush with soft soaps, I recommend the Semogue 830. It's about $25 shipped on Amazon, which is a good deal on that brush.

Top Bottom