What's new

Why should I use shaving cream and a brush...

versus the canned shaving creams? I don't like canned shaving creams. I've switched to an Aveeno canned shaving cream, which I don't think is bad at all... better than the previous stuff I've used. This one:

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/2/20652/21_2007/051606_aveeno_01a.jpg

I've used the Fusion for the past couple years, and I'm going back to Mach 3. I think the Fusion has too many blades and that causes irritation.

I'm not interested in a straight edge... I've tried using it in the past, and couldn't get the hang of it.

I'm switching back to Mach 3... I want to know why I should use a shaving cream and brush combo.

Can someone simply link me to a reasonably priced shave cream and brush? I want to spend as little as possible, but I also want to feel the difference.

Thanks.

If your getting satisfactory results from the Aveeno cream then there is no real reason to switch IMO. I have heard good things about it.

Some reasons could be less environmental impact, more natural, the exfoliation effect of the brush, and the nostalgia factor. The Von Der Hagen kit is a great start.

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Pre...HPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325496278&sr=8-1
proxy.php

You may want to try the Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel, they are 2-3 blade cartridge razor and generic blades are available making it a cheaper alternative to the Mach 3.

Traditional lathering cream is noticeably slicker than the "canned stuff" and remains moist on your face (in my experience, even Aveeno tends to dry). This gives the razor superior glide. But I'm not totally against the canned stuff like most here are....it works just fine with a single-bladed razor, moreso than anything with 3 or five blades.

But if you would like some cheap recommendations, I can oblige. If you just want to swing by a local store and pick something up, Rite Aid has Real Shaving Co. lathering cream and a Tweezerman brush. Togfether they should run you ~$20. If you want to go the online route, an Omega boar brush can usually be had super-cheaply. Paired with Proraso cream, you're looking at a little less than $20 as well.

Even cheaper would be to go the soap route. Van Der Hagen soap is less than $2 at most places and performs way above its price point. You can also find their cheap branded boar brush for $5 or so, or the aforementioned Tweezerman badger at most pharmacies. Another option is the Shea Moisture Shave brush at some Walmarts.

The canned goo was useless to me when I went DE (although I used it for years before I learned there was something better).
While waiting for something better to arrive in the mail I bought a can of Aveeno cream. It's not all that bad. I would use it again especially when I travel.

Traditional lathering cream is noticeably slicker than the "canned stuff" and remains moist on your face (in my experience, even Aveeno tends to dry). This gives the razor superior glide. But I'm not totally against the canned stuff like most here are....it works just fine with a single-bladed razor, moreso than anything with 3 or five blades.

But if you would like some cheap recommendations, I can oblige. If you just want to swing by a local store and pick something up, Rite Aid has Real Shaving Co. lathering cream and a Tweezerman brush. Togfether they should run you ~$20. If you want to go the online route, an Omega boar brush can usually be had super-cheaply. Paired with Proraso cream, you're looking at a little less than $20 as well.

Even cheaper would be to go the soap route. Van Der Hagen soap is less than $2 at most places and performs way above its price point. You can also find their cheap branded boar brush for $5 or so, or the aforementioned Tweezerman badger at most pharmacies. Another option is the Shea Moisture Shave brush at some Walmarts.

I would say this gentleman has said it all. I know it looks like, by what you read here, that if it doesn't cost as much as a New Buick it's not worth having. But in my opinon, the cheap stuff works just fine. To tell the truth, the VDH and William's soap is my everyday soap. I only use the expensive stuff to spice up the shave.Good luck.............JR

Welcome to B&B! I agree that Kevan has hit the nail on the head with his response. For $20 or so, you can pick up online a great boar brush like the Omega Pro 49 ($9) and a tube of CO Bigelow/Proraso (~$10) or Musgo Real (~$10). Both, in my experience generate very slick and protective lathers that best the canned gels (and Aveeno and Neutrogena are pretty good).

Because it is awesome. Seriously.

When I was in college, I tried a shaving gel one time and threw away the can, but I used barbisol and colgate shaving cream/foam from a can for a lot of years. I generally got a "satisfactory" shave. When I switched to DE shaving, I asked the same question - why do I need a brush. I tried the VDH kit mentioned above, and I was hooked. I used it for two days before I ordered a new brush from Larry at Whipped Dog. I've gotten a few more since making the switch, but I still love that brush. Since switching to a brush, I generally get a "superior" shave, and a much more satisfying experience. That VDH kit costs $10.49 at the local Rite Aid, and was definitely worth it.

Because it is awesome. Seriously.

+1. I can shave with canned gel just fine. But using a brush and all the soaps and creams just feels great on the face. Smells great. It just makes the whole experience enjoyable and fun instead of just "something I have to do". I even still use my Fusion regularly along with my DE's. IMO the best part about wet shaving is the brush/lather combo. An omega or semogue boar brush along with some CO Bigelow cream (Bath and Body Works) would be a very reasonably priced combo. YMMV.

I used to shower-shave with Irish Spring until I started shaving my head, then I went to Headslick.
But for travel, I've always used "Edge" gel. I didn't particularly like it, but it was convenient for travel since hotel soaps were so inconsistent in their suitability for shaving (usually not suitable at all).
Especially now with TSA being so over the top, I think a tube of cream and a brush are probably the best way to travel.

I used aveeno for years prior to my wet shaving adventure. While I agree with many that aveeno isn't bad, using a quality soap/cream and brush is far better, not to mention far more enjoyable.

+1. I can shave with canned gel just fine. But using a brush and all the soaps and creams just feels great on the face. Smells great. It just makes the whole experience enjoyable and fun instead of just "something I have to do".

+1

It transforms it from a chore into something more.

There is nothing wrong with using canned foam or gel (sometimes referred to as "goo") with a DE razor.

Thanks,
Mike

I still get great shaves using a DE razor and canned gel. It's hard to argue value when compared to expensive creams and soap.

There is nothing wrong with using canned foam or gel (sometimes referred to as "goo") with a DE razor.

Thanks,
Mike

I still get great shaves using a DE razor and canned gel. It's hard to argue value when compared to expensive creams and soap.

+10 to both of these. The main idea, I think, is to get a shave that is both comfortable and adequately close. While the "goo" gets ridden down pretty hard around here for various reasons, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using it if you are satisfied with the results.

<dons asbestos longjohns>

Oh, and BrookR1? For the middle of the price range of soaps and "expensive" creams, the cost per use is generally on-par with the cans in my analysis. Sure, they cost more at the outset, but at least one of my creams has somewhere around 75 uses out of it and lots more to go. Not bad for $20.00 in my book

Last edited:
Some Target stores sell Herban Cowboy shave soap, and the one near my hotel room also sells Tweezerman brushes. Just over thirty dollars will get you shave cream, soap, AS balm, and a Tweezerman badger brush. Herban Cowboy is still a commercial brand, but it is still better than canned goo. It generally provides better glide and cushion than anything out of a can.
http://www.target.com/p/Organic-Gro...-Natural-Shave-Kit-4-pc-Gift-Set/-/A-12956750
http://www.target.com/p/Tweezerman-...=Rec|pdp|13274927|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency

"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sand People always ride single file to hide their numbers."

Cheap can get expensive fast.

If you're going to buy bottom feeder soaps, creams and brushes, you might as well stick with the Aveeno, because cheap traditional crap isn't a step up from it.

Cheap can get expensive fast.

If you're going to buy bottom feeder soaps, creams and brushes, you might as well stick with the Aveeno, because cheap traditional crap isn't a step up from it.

Opinions vary. My cheap traditional crap is a step up from my prior combo of Irish Spring and triple-blade wonder.

Top Bottom