What's new

My "Gold Slash" 7 day set

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I started on the next blade this morning. It was a #208. Unfortunately, the razors are "higher quality" as you go up in the numbers. One aspect of this is that the stamping on the shank is done more carefully. MUCH more carefully. In other words, the stamping is VERY DEEP, and it is not practical to grind it out. So, it will never become a Gold Slash. It will remain a Gold Dollar, albeit a modified one. So I think my set will be all pure #66, even if I have to order a couple more. Meanwhile, I am still sanding on the #208 and it will end up being a nice razor. Already has a good voice. Sings nicely without the stabilizers and shoulders. It is a little thinner, too. On the #66 the stamping is not so deep and can be sanded off.

Found a good method of sanding the vestiges of stabilizers off the blade. I make a sanding block contoured to the blade, wrap sanding paper around it, and tape one end.The tape rides on the blade during the sanding stroke, concentrating the pressure and abrasive action on the thickened part of the blade where the stabilizer was. Then, for general sanding once the thickness is faired down to that of the rest of the blade, I remove the tape. Pic when I do the next one.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
hard to hold my phone steady for video while I am working with the other three hands but I will try.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Are you going to have the spines engraved with the day of the week?

I would like to engrave the spines but I really can't justify the expense of sending them out for engraving. I might practice on some junk razors and if I get confident enough, I will do the spines myself. Also thinking about acid etching the blades. Not to mention engraving my logo and a serial number on the shanks.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This one will never be a Gold Slash razor. It didn't make the cut. It won't be in the set. The stamping is too deep, and the blade is clearly not the same grind as the #66. I finished it anyhow, and put it in some aluminum scales. I have already found a home for it.

I left the scales a bit oversize. I am thinking about skeletonizing it by drilling some holes in the scales. Tomorrow I will hone it up and give it a test-shave.Aluminum is touchy. If you just LOOK at it too much it gets dings and divots. If I ever go with metal scales again, I think they will be very thin stainless steel. The Gold Slash set will most likely be wearing wood scales.

Attachments

• $009_open_aluminumscales.jpg
    $009_open_aluminumscales.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 577
  • $010_closed_aluminumscales.jpg
    $010_closed_aluminumscales.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
nice project :thumbup1:

do you have a link for that seller? (PM if it can't be posted maybe?)
I can't find any under $10 on eBay, us or aus

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
And notice that price includes shipping.

I think we should have a BnB group buy of GD#66's. Maybe we could get them even cheaper.

"Not available to Canada" :crying:

Jack,

If you want to get your hands on some of these (which I recommend, great to practice customizing on) we can order them to my place in the States and I'll ship them up to you. First class to Canada is only a couple of bucks for a few razors.

Jack,

If you want to get your hands on some of these (which I recommend, great to practice customizing on) we can order them to my place in the States and I'll ship them up to you. First class to Canada is only a couple of bucks for a few razors.
I appreciate it, Connor. When my purchase sabbatical is over, I just might have to take you up on that offer.

Top Bottom