What's new

My "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat" restore, plus a nice yellow Ever-Ready

The green and gold one has a pretty good story. This one started out as a really cool old handle that I found on eBay, of course. I was just getting ready to drill out the old knot when I noticed that the cream-colored collar was already loose. "Ok, just a little twist, and the whole collar will pop off, no problem," I thought. Yea, right. I gave the collar a gentle twist, and the whole thing split right up the center -- completely ruining the handle.

Anyway, after I was done crying over the broken piece, I thought that maybe I could make some kind of replacement collar out of metal or plastic. I took the bottom piece to Home Depot and, in the plumbing aisle, I found the perfect replacement. There were large, blasted brass fittings that are used for plumbing connections, but they also happen to be exactly the right size to fit onto the top of the green resin handle. The green and gold also looked pretty cool together, so I decided to give the whole thing a try, and the results are below.

The knot, if you're wondering, is a TGN silvertip Grade A, 22 mm. And I can't wait to give it a try tomorrow!

Attachments

• $DSC07097.jpg
    $DSC07097.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 224
  • $DSC07098.jpg
    $DSC07098.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 223
  • $DSC07099.jpg
    $DSC07099.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 225
And here's the other one I finished this weekend -- your basic canary-yellow Ever-Ready 175. The knot for this one is the Vulfix boar knot that TGN used to carry but has sold out of long ago. Too bad too, because these are definitely the best boar replacement knots I've ever seen! Enjoy.

Attachments

• $DSC07100.jpg
    $DSC07100.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 220
  • $DSC07101.jpg
    $DSC07101.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 223
  • $DSC07102.jpg
    $DSC07102.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 223
is it heavy? looks pretty cool but the weight is my only concern.

Little bit heavier than a normal brush, for sure. I can't say that it's a perfect solution, either, because I would have preferred something that is completely round rather than hexagonal. But unlike others here, I don't have any skills for using a lathe, so I was kind of limited to what I could find or make with the tools that I know how to use. The extra weight didn't seem like too much of a sacrifice given how well it fits otherwise.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think the brass nut looks great, and kudos for an ingenious solution to a problem at hand.
If it's a fixture nut, it's pretty thin wall, so I can't imagine it adding much weight at all.
As far as round goes - Everyone has round brushes, the hex is pretty darned unique.

That 175 is really a nice brush! First time I see one. What is the knot diameter on this one?

Thanks! The knot is a 20 mm boar from TGN -- one of the boar knots that Tony got from Vulfix and sold as his "UK" models. I understand that they are all gone now, never to be restocked.

This 175 was really hard to work on too, because there is a solid metal shelf/cap set into the collar that I just could not budge, so I had to fit the new knot inside of it. For most other Ever-Readys, it's pretty easy to drill out the existing shelf or cap, and that leaves a lot more room for setting the height and position of the new knot. Not this one, however!

And thanks again for all of the kind remarks about the other brush! The plumbing aisle at Home Depot has become my go-to spot for all kinds of improvised brush hardware!

Thanks! The knot is a 20 mm boar from TGN -- one of the boar knots that Tony got from Vulfix and sold as his "UK" models. I understand that they are all gone now, never to be restocked.

This 175 was really hard to work on too, because there is a solid metal shelf/cap set into the collar that I just could not budge, so I had to fit the new knot inside of it. For most other Ever-Readys, it's pretty easy to drill out the existing shelf or cap, and that leaves a lot more room for setting the height and position of the new knot. Not this one, however!

I just dealt with that metal ring in an Ever Ready Set in Rubber I recently refurbished. I just took my dremel and sanding drum to that metal collar until there was barely anything left of it.

It's kind of funny/coincidental that you chose the 20mm UK cream boar knot and put it in your butterscotch and black Ever Ready. I put the same exact knot in a very similar butterscotch and black Ever Ready 925... thread here

You will love that boar once you break it in. Plenty of backbone for soap and soft tips.

I just dealt with that metal ring in an Ever Ready Set in Rubber I recently refurbished. I just took my dremel and sanding drum to that metal collar until there was barely anything left of it.

It's kind of funny/coincidental that you chose the 20mm UK cream boar knot and put it in your butterscotch and black Ever Ready. I put the same exact knot in a very similar butterscotch and black Ever Ready 925... thread here

You will love that boar once you break it in. Plenty of backbone for soap and soft tips.

Thanks for the compliment -- I like what you did with that pair of 925s!! How did you happen to find them in such great shape and in two colors? Anyway, you are correct -- the Vulfix boar knots that Tony used to carry work just great in those old Ever-Ready handles. They fit the look of the handle, the color is correct and they make a great contrast with the black collar.

As for drilling or sanding down the metal cup/shelf thingy, I've done it successfully on other brushes, but on this one, for some reason, that doggone thing was not going to budge. When I was less experienced, I would just keep forcing the issue until (typically) the handle would just break in my hands. Now, when I get to that point, and I can make do with another knot, I take the less confrontational approach and just accept the handle in the condition that it's in. (Working on those crazy red and cream "Dubl Duck" handles taught me this!!)

Anyway, thanks for the nice words, and I'll have some more to post soon.

How did you happen to find them in such great shape and in two colors?

Well the green based one I found luckily in an antique shop in Vegas. The butterscotch based one was bought from a member on here and was damn near mint in the box. I only wish I had a red and black 925 and not just a 150. I look forward to your next items.

Top Bottom