What's new

Coffee Mug as Shaving Mug

A low, wide soup mug from a local potter.

It's a "second", with some small flaw, so it was cheaper. Swirls in the surface, esp on the bottom, seem to enhance making of the good stuff.

I used a plastic disposable bowl for a month, and it sucked. It kept tipping over in the sink and wrecking my concoctions.

I actually use a bowl I bought at the local grocer for 2.99...Not a normal bowl though as it closes in at the top. Works fairly well for me though when I find a shave cream that I like I'll probably switch to a moss scuttle (costs be damned).:shaving:

An old ENglishman who ran a tobacco shop(now defunct) in Lagrange Ill advised me to use a coffee cup, while another told me that a shaving mug is nothing but a glorified coffee cup. If you must use a coffee cup try the Victor type which you find in diners & restaurants. They are thick & heavy but cannot really accomodate a soap puck. A hand with fingers pointing or even closed should be able to fit in a shave mug. I just add cream from a tube/tub on a spreader with some droplets of hot water in the mug & generate a lather with a brush. The brush caanks on the sides, reiterating what I mentioned about a hand fitting in a shaving mug.They are available at restaurant supply store or even the Salvation Army THrift shops or Good Will.

I used a Stars and Stripes coffee mug with Williams for years. It started in the early 70's though...

I think there is a certain nostalgia of using a mug that has been special for coffee drinking for years. I have some mugs that I have had and carried all over the US while 'growing up" (alright, getting older) for close to 30 years.. and if anyone gives me a hard time for my age.. remember, half my name is 'Bear".... lol

I remember seeing those massive coffee mugs for the first time in a bar in York back in '95... I almost died and went to heaven.. this was one huge SOB of a mug that would hold all the coffee I needed in the morning.. suddenly my coffee mugs weren't enough any longer. I was given one as a gift in that York Bar... and carried it on the tour pack of my Harley for weeks touring throughout the UK... and I still have it. I see them everywhere now.. but that one is special...

Having a shave mug is every bit as important as having a coffee mug.. or a tea mug... my days of making a pot of tea and pouring it by the ounce is over with.. this lady wants it all and she wants it now... and these huge mugs that are now available make perfect shaving mugs.

My father lathered on his face... he uses an electric now as he had a stroke a year ago... but I remember watching him shave as a young girl. If he had been using one of the Old Spice mugs that so many of our dads used to use.. I would probably have one... just as a remembrance. Mugs can be very special.

I think a mug can be even more personal than many of the things that you use in life.. your razor and brush... and your mug.. ya know.. the rest can be interchanged.

Once you find something that works... who cares what it looks like or what you paid for it. This is your shaving mug.. Our fathers had one and it lasted them all of their lives.. why should this change now??

I second what Mama Bear said. I like my Old Spice mug because it has fins in the bottom that keep the puck from slipping, and because I have had it since Moby Dick was a minnow. That mug and my old Every-Ready boar brush have sailed all over the world with me, Old companions that greet me every morning.

I started out with a Colonel Conk mug because it was nice and wide. Coffee mugs can be narrow and I didn't like the clunking noise my brush makes when it hits the sides. My wife is still sleeping when I shave. Then I found the need for more mugs and bought some soup mugs, which are also very wide. The Pfaltzgraff website has clearance items at a very good price so that's where I got the soup mugs.

Finally I decided to buy soup mugs with lids to preserve the scents of my soaps and I purhased Corningware soup mugs with lids. I like these a lot!

Steve

I started with a huge promotional coffee cup I got at an Oracle sales presentation. It is black ceramic with a simple "Oracle" logo in red. It was an excellent shaving mug, but I finally decided to go to even larger ceramic cereal / soup bowls.

Tim

I'm using a small coffee mug (about 2.5" high, with half the volume of what I'd consider a "normal" mug) for my smaller soaps (The Gentlemen's Quarter 1oz varieties and my 57 cent williams puck). I find that this mug works quite well with my C&E best badger brush (which would certainly be considered a bit on the small side, as brushes go).

Top Bottom