What's new

Speakeasy Aquisitions - 2012

If you like an anise flavored liquor, I'd recommend Underground liquor. This stuff is a moderate anise flavored liquor with a catch. Added in are ginseng and guarana, this is the stuff for all night party'rs who don't want the alcohol induced sleepiness normally associated with other drinks. The guarana has more caffeine than coffee, the stuff they put in Rockstar or Bawls energy drinks. Brewed in Ogden, Utah to everyone's surprise, this stuff is amazing. The same people who brought you "Five Wives" vodka. I plug not because I'm a Utahn, but because I've had this liquor and really like it. I really like this stuff because I'm a real anise fan. I like Sambuca, Arak, Uzo and Yagermeister so this stuff is right up my alley.

Laphroaig 18yr (half a bottle remaining from a company event).
Aberlour A'bunadh batch 21
a few sittings worth of Balvenie 15 single barrel

Picked up some Lagavulin 16 today for a nice price.

Going to pick up some umeshu (I've only seen one variety here in calgary so far) and some plum wine for the game tonight.

Ballantine's 17yr. I only bought this because of Jim Murray. It's pretty damn good for a blend but at the price point I'd rather drink a single malt.

Two more! No doubt about it... it's a full blown AD!

Compass Box Asyla - on a rec from a friend.
Amrut Fusion - Indian Single Malt intrigues me. Very well reviewed.

Added Highland Park 18 to the shelf last night. I was ditching traffic and popped into a small liquor store in a very nice neighborhood. They had it For $75!! That about $30 less than my usual place.

It must be a dream. Friday during a meeting my CEO hands me a bag and tells me to open it when I get back to my office. It's a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva. The rum finish is a bit strange... disorienting, really.

+1 for the Laphroaig 18. Tough to get, but the Laphroaig 15 is a fine scotch. Been a "Friend of Laphroaig" since 1978. Visitted Islay some time back and went to the Laphroaig Distillary. Great experience and brought home what might have been the 1st bottle of 18 year to hit the US, as it had not been imported here yet. Bought several bottles of the 15 year since the folks at the distillary told me it was being discontinued. Wish my stocks had done as well. It's aged in used Maker's Mark barrels (my go to bourbon).
+1 on the 18 year Highland Park.
+1 on Lagavulin. I tend to favor Islays.
A new wheated bourbon: Larceny. A bit sweeter than Makers and I think there's a $10 rebate on it for now. Like it, but am still a Maker's man.
A new Rum out is Pyrat (pronounced like pirate). Good stuff, even for sipping. I noticed the bottles looked sort of like Patron bottles, but round and the label stated only that it was bottled in Guyana. Research shows its made up of rums from 16 different Caribbean countries and that it IS owned by Patron.
Also scored some Midleton Irish Whiskey. Yes, only one "d". Outstanding stuff, but a little harsh on the wallet.
Also have the McAllen 18 year. Prefer it to the 25 year which IMHO has been in the oak too long.

I fear I've gone slightly mad this week.

Krakken spiced rum last weekend. A friend had just finished her last assignment, we made maitais (old schools stylee) with it and they were bloody brilliant, but she fell asleep after three.

Got a bottle of Bailey Nicole Jarvey Wednesday. Like arghblech above, I was dodging traffic by visiting a liquor store and there it was. Best cheap scotch I've ever had.

On Friday I picked up another bottle of Johnnie Drum green label (although that should end up as a mate's Christmas present, there are no guarantees) and a Blackadder bottling of what rumor has it, is the same spirit that goes into Flor de Canna rum only 12 years old. Plus I got home to find a bottle of Dalmore 12 year old from the Single Malt Club. Friday was a good day.

Last month I had a half share in a box from The Whisky Exchange that included an Old Pulteney 21 year, Ardbeg Corryvrecken and a Bunnahabain XXV. The last is the outright best single malt I have ever tasted. Sorry scratch that, on second thoughts its awful, keep clear. In fact send any bottles you might have lying about straight to me for disposal.

Now I'm eyeing the Dan Murphy's catalogue: so much good stuff for Christmas!

Just picked up an aquision from my sister. She buys and sells vintage furniture and picked up these, among others. The Kentucky Bourbon has some sediment. The others look like current liquor from Germany and are unopened and might stay that way.
Not listed is Obelisk Vodka and Bombay Saphire.
$DSCF2941.jpg$DSCF2940.jpg

My dentist gave me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 for christmas. Haven't cracked it open yet, but am anxious to.

I just got a bottle of Mount Gay Rum from Barbados, I haven't had it before but I'm sure it is amazing. I'm thinking I might save it for when I go home for christmas when I give him his new pipe and tobacco!

Almost finished some of my scotch so it was time for a replacement.

Dalmore 12y
Auchentoshan Bordeaux Cask 11y

$20121213_195342.jpg

Went for two COMPLETELY opposite beers at Party Source in Newport, KY. Brooklyn Black Ops (10%+ Bourbon aged Imperial Stout) and Jester King Le Petit Prince (2.8% Farmhouse Ale).

Will be opening the Jester King at a Poker game in about an hour.

Last edited:
View attachment 292713

Went for two COMPLETELY opposite beers at Party Source in Newport, KY. Brooklyn Black Ops (10%+ Bourbon aged Imperial Stout) and Jester King Le Petit Prince (2.8% Farmhouse Ale).

Will be opening the Jester King at a Poker game in about an hour.
Black Ops is delicious! I grabbed a couple of bottles last year and they didn't last a month. I love the Le Petit Prince, have you had their Funkmetal yet? I've been looking for it, heard it's great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom