What's new

What kind of cuff??

I don't know what you call the style of cuff you wear with cufflinks. A friend of mine told me it could be called a "french" cuff, but I've yet to do any research on that. Does anybody know what Im talking about or am i just crazy?!

Its a French cuff and you get 10 points for asking and 20 more for looking sharp.

proxy.php

thanks goosemeplease. do you recommend any particular brand? something that will at least give me a few years of use. is custom tailoring an option?

whew.... too many questions!:blush:

Then there is the cuff link Aquisition Disorder that comes with wearing french cuffs.

Vintage links are always a smart choice!

Hmm good question. I have worn french cuffs (FC) for years and probably have less than a dozen cuff links and maybe really use about half. I tend to wear FC to more dressy functions and tone it down to a nice button cuff in court settings.

I'm currently wearing my French cuffs and a nice set of Toledo Spanish cuff links my wife bought me (I've got a gig later today that I'm getting ready for) There is definitely an acquisition disorder for cuff links. My favorite set is an antique set from the 19th century which is gold with mother of pearl. Fortunately I only have two sets that I wear on a regular basis, but that is because I can't find a set I like better than the two I have.

thanks goosemeplease. do you recommend any particular brand? something that will at least give me a few years of use. is custom tailoring an option?

whew.... too many questions!:blush:

When you get your shirts laundered--as you must with a dress shirt--tell them NOT to use starch. Your shirts will last a LOT longer.

I'm wearing a Herbie Frogg double cuff shirt with Wedgwood Jasper cufflinks.

On this board, Jermyn Street is legendary for the shops of:

Taylor's
Trumper's
Floris

It's also "double cuff" heaven

Turnbull & Asser
New & Lingwood
Ede & Ravenscroft
Haines & Bonner
Hawes & Curtis
Herbie Frogg
Thomas Pink
Charles Tyrwhitt
TM Lewin
John Bray
Roderick Charles
Emmett

Bigc86,

French cuff shirts are nice, and add a little extra dapperness to your style. However, they are not the most versatile shirts, so if you want a shirt you can dress up or down (with jeans) stay away from the French cuff. Also, really nice cuff links cost more than you think. Yeah you can get some for $25, and you can even get some silk knots for less, but the ones you would really like to have tend to start at about $250 and go up from there.

For $100 or less: Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, J. Press, and Nordstrom’s store brand are some of the best shirts for the money. Look on Brooks Brother’s website and see if there is an outlet store near you. The outlet store sells first quality merchandise with a slightly different label at quite a discount to the retail store. Same is true for the Brooks Brother’s ties. Sometimes you can catch the outlet store having a sale, and really save some money. Also, I recommend buying the shirts that do not require ironing. Most of the Brooks shirts are that way now, just wash them, dry them, hang them up. Occasionally, you might need to touch them up with an iron, but nothing like the shirts that require heavy ironing and pressing. NEVER, starch a non-iron shirt, the shirt’s fabric is treated and starching it can cause holes to form in the fabric.

For $100 to $175: Ike Behar, Thomas Pink, and Ted Baker are some brands I like.

For $200 to $400: Armani Collezioni, Canali, Ermenegildo Zegna, Borelli, Lorenzini, Ralph Lauren Purple Label and Gucci.

For $400 to $600+: Charvet, Brioni and Kiton.

Nordstrom’s, Nieman Marcus, and Sak’s Fifth Ave. all have sales once or twice per year where some of the merchandise is marked as low as 60-70% off. All of the stores also have corresponding outlet stores. I especially like Nieman’s outlet store, they have special events where you go in the back room and go through the latest arrivals before they are put out for sale to the general public. In fact, the best merchandise is generally sold before it can make it out of the stock room for display. I can’t tell you how many $500 Brioni shirts I have bought for $80 to $100 out of the back room. Same is true for suits and ties. It is especially true if you wear an uncommon size.

Some of those back room deals show up on Ebay, but you have to be able to spot fakes by looking at the labels. A lot of fakes on Ebay.

I'm wearing a TM Lewin shirt with silk knots at the moment. They're good with slacks, sometimes (depends on the shirt) they'll go with khakis, seldom with jeans. Actually I've gotten away with navy blazer/white shirt with silver knots/darker jeans, but it works best in the evenings.

As for cuff links, I only wear knots, unless we're talking black tie.

Lewin is my favorite since they're cut slim, even for an English shirt (which is already slimmer than US shirts). Turnbull & Asser is my second favorite - their cuffs are cut too narrow to accommodate even a modest watch. Hilditch & Key also makes a fine shirt, well worth having.

North americans tend to call them "french cuffs" and in Britain they tend to be called "double cuffs" ... either is fine.

Get them here http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/default.aspx?DepGrpCode=HOM

Custom tailoring can also be an option if you know a good shirtmaker, want a particular style, or have an oddly-shaped body.

Sounds like the difference between French and Georgian doors. The only shirts that I wear,having french cuffs, are the ones for my tuxedos. They also use the studs in place of buttons.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When you get your shirts laundered--as you must with a dress shirt--tell them NOT to use starch. Your shirts will last a LOT longer.

I would disagree ... you can wash a dress shirt (cold water, with whites and like colours sorted into different loads). Don't put it in the drier (OMG) but iron it right out of the washer and then hang to finish drying.

I'm wearing a TM Lewin shirt with silk knots at the moment. They're good with slacks, sometimes (depends on the shirt) they'll go with khakis, seldom with jeans. Actually I've gotten away with navy blazer/white shirt with silver knots/darker jeans, but it works best in the evenings.

As for cuff links, I only wear knots, unless we're talking black tie.

Lewin is my favorite since they're cut slim, even for an English shirt (which is already slimmer than US shirts). Turnbull & Asser is my second favorite - their cuffs are cut too narrow to accommodate even a modest watch. Hilditch & Key also makes a fine shirt, well worth having.

How does the Lewin slim-cut compare to the Tyrwhitt slim-cut? I've only tried the Tyrwhitt, and am curious if you have tried both.

The new Maytag dryers work great, its a big cabinet and you can dry things flat on perforated shelves or on hangers,

Top Bottom