What's new

Indulgence of the Night - 2012

Picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12yo cask strength in Atlanta this weekend, but since we were cooking spicy last night, I tried the Redemption Rye instead.

Trying Suntory Yamazaki 12 for the first time. Pleasantly surprised!

Funny you should mention that in the post after my Redbreast 12yo Cask Strength acquisition...I picked up a bottle of the Suntory at the same time, though I got the evil eye from SWMBO at checkout. Glad to hear you liked it.

The 16yo stepson invited the girlfriend over last night to grill steaks and have dinner with us, so I broke out the special bottle (just for me :laugh: ): Van Winkle's 12yo Lot B.

Funny you should mention that in the post after my Redbreast 12yo Cask Strength acquisition...I picked up a bottle of the Suntory at the same time, though I got the evil eye from SWMBO at checkout. Glad to hear you liked it.

I must emphasize that although I did like it, it's not as satisfying as others, but does have a place and time for its own kind of enjoyment. The palate was quite different from what I'm used to.

I must emphasize that although I did like it, it's not as satisfying as others, but does have a place and time for its own kind of enjoyment. The palate was quite different from what I'm used to.

What's your usual? My regulars are Black Maple Hill, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Rittenhouse Rye BIB, Aberlour, HP 12, and Redbreast 12yo. I find something I like in every one of them, and wonder how my list compares to yours. Thanks, my man.

What's your usual? My regulars are Black Maple Hill, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Rittenhouse Rye BIB, Aberlour, HP 12, and Redbreast 12yo. I find something I like in every one of them, and wonder how my list compares to yours. Thanks, my man.

My usuals are typically Highland Park, Laphraoig, or Jameson. Those are the three staples except that Jameson is interchangeable with other Irish whiskeys (I actually prefer Tyrconnell, or even Bushmills, and recently saw some Paddy, which takes me back!). I'm not too picky about my Irish whiskeys but Jameson is usually a few bucks cheaper and sometimes the half-gallon is on special making it even more affordable. I had a case of Jack Daniels American Woods but I'm down to two bottles now. I'm expanding the selection to include other browns (bought some cognac yesterday and almost bought a rye but didn't know what to get so I didn't). And I often have a few other random Scotch whiskys on hand but my only flanker at the moment is the Yamazaki. I'm egging to get some Caol Ila and some Ardbeg at the moment.

I'm expanding the selection to include other browns (bought some cognac yesterday and almost bought a rye but didn't know what to get so I didn't).

If it's available in your area, the Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond Rye 100 is an outstanding value, and a fantastic drink. I have it with a little bigger splash than a bourbon (my rule is Irish neat, bourbon smidge, 100 or cask strength whiskies a little more than a smidge), and really like it. It's $18.99 a bottle in GA (can't buy it here in AL) and I pick a couple up every time I'm there. Templeton is probably my favorite, though it's a little more expensive at around $40, and Sazerac and Austin Nichols "Russell's Reserve" also got A+'s in my whiskey database. I wasn't overly impressed with Redemption Rye, and picked up a bottle of Willett's but haven't opened it yet.

I like Jameson, and like Jameson 12 even more, but just love Redbreast 12.

And I'm typing this while sipping my first Suntory Yamazaki. Nice dram, though I'm weeding out the differences between it and a nice single malt as I go.

Editing the first few chapters of my master's thesis, so I cracked a 2010 Ommegang Three Philosophers and a fresh lemongrass saison homebrew to keep me motivated :smartass:

Kind of threw together what we had on hand.

2oz Whiskey
1/2 tsb Triple Sec
2 dashes bitters

Shake and strain. Not too bad.

Top Bottom