What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something from a silver 10 ml metal covered decant "vessel" I found that no longer had a legible label on it, if it ever had one. Anyone else have this kind of thing in their collections.

I am thinking strictly from the scent--because I have no memory of where this decant would have come from unless I had that decant bottle already and transferred a non-atomizer decant into it--it is PdN Cedrat. The "regular" version, not the "Intense." I will probably never know for sure. I do like it. Lemon with some spice/black pepper. I think I am in love with Patricia de Nicholai. Luck Scent says PdN Cedrat is "Said to be Patricia de Nicolai’s personal favorite . . . ."

Yesterday, if I recall, Pen's EF on one arm and vintage Houbgiant Fourgere Royale, 1959 version, as I recall, on the other. For scent notes, see what Bobk1 had to say in this thread. To me, these are what straight-up fougeres, as opposed to the host of oriental, etc., fougeres, are supposed to smell like, and they smell amazing!

proxy.php

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Six drops of Penaud Clubman mixed with 3 drops of glycerin and a little water, then splash applied. And my wife asked what I was wearing, because she thought I smelled good. Ahh, the joy of inexpensive drug store aftershaves!

Halston - 1-12

Thought I would continue this weekend's theme with some more good old 70's and 80's powerhouse scents. This one is very green and has a long list of notes, too many for me to bother listing here. Back in the day, Z-14 was the more popular of the twins released by Halston, but I preferred 1-12 by a wide margin. Both are masculine to a fault, and the ladies (well the loose ones anyway) seemed to prefer the Z-14, but I couldn't help but actually enjoy wearing the 1-12 at the time. The 1-12 comes across as a bit more mature, and suave. (well, I'm not exactly sure that the term 'suave' applies when talking about a powerhouse scent, but I am using it anyway.) It always smelled nice, was attractive to the ladies at the time as well, and, well, it simply made me feel better at the time. I managed to acquire a vintage bottle of the juice and it's pretty much all that I remember it being; loud, green, yet somehow it seems to attempt to restrain itself from simply being JUST loud and green.

Upon reading the reviews, I noticed that there are quite a few references to one of the top notes, galbanum. I had to look that one up, and found that it is a prominent 'green' note in fragrances, that combines with a somewhat coniferous or 'piney' note. Looking further into other fragrances that contained the note, I came up with a list of around 200, only a few of which I was familiar with. One of the most popular (here anyways) was the discontinued "Jules." I simply had to do a quick test and found that they do indeed have a very close opening, but only for a few seconds. Jules seems to move into it's woody base very quickly, with the cedar note appearing first, while the 1-12 simply continues with the 'green' theme for a long time. I does transition into a pine like, or coniferous heart, but takes it sweet time doing so.

There are some moss, cedar, musk, amber and vanilla notes in the base, but the fragrance simply doesn't get overly sweet in it's drydown, rather it somehow retains it's greenness pretty much the entire time. I feel that this one is the one that should have been kept in production and it's brother Z-14 is the one that should have been discontinued, but I am sure that the sales figures and not the frag heads get to make those kinds of decisions.

This one can still be fairly easily found, and due to it's rather poor sales rate, may have even kept itself away from much, if any reformulation through the years. Knowing that I would only wear it once in a while, and was interested in the nostalgia factor, I tracked down an over thirty year old, unopened bottle. I am not sure it was actually worth the quest, but I am happy I did so, as it smells exactly like I remember.

As with yesterday's Paco Rabanne, MODERATION is key with this one, perhaps even more so. A throughly enjoyable blast from my past is occurring this weekend, and I think I will continue the theme tomorrow.

I feel that yesterday's Paco Rabanne is a better choice if you only had one to wear from that era, as it does seem to fit in with today's tastes a bit better. But for me, I am enjoying both.

As always, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom