What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
by Kilian Straight to Heaven

What do you think of this one? I've got Back to Black and Taste of Heaven and love both. Just got a straw of Straight to Heaven. Have only dabbed a bit on my hand so far but I liked what I got. Made me think of Tommy Bahama made with top notch ingredients

A cucumber/salty aquatic. This might be appealing to some, but I'm not too enamored with it.

proxy.php

I remember when I first smelled this scent. All I got was seaweed. The bond rep kept raving about it so I let the wife smell it. She looked at her and said, "No thanks. I'd rather not have him smell like sushi."

Last edited:
It was a nice scent. It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it. I was expecting a civet blast, but instead I got the citrus top with an undercurrent of very reserved civet. The dry down was quite nice with the lavender and vanilla dominating. I've heard it doesn't have great longevity, but it lasted all day on me (although it did wear very close to the skin). Overall, I can see why it is considered a classic and a wonderful scent. I need to wear it more to really pass judgment, but I would categorize it as a nice scent...

I, of course, was expecting a stronger reaction! <g> Without a strong initial reaction, positive or negative, I am not sure you will ever be enamoured with it, which is fine! I would keep trying it though. Maybe there is something I smell more intensely in this than you do. I am beginning to think that that happens among us all. This is one of the very few my wife really likes on me. I adore it, but partly because would expect it to be devisive. And I like the old school vibe! It is what I would wear with white tie, should I ever have the need. And I have no trouble with tenacity with this one. Gentleman's Handkerchief. Maybe part of it is the name.

And I am guessing you like the Creed "F Verte." I do not think I have ever struggled in my mind over whether something I like so much is worth the money. I have no trouble making that calculation for, say, Windsor. I could wear FV every day. But would I want to spend that kind of money to do so. It is so good for what it is. But is what it is worth that kind of money?

Floris "Mahon" today. I sprayed this one and put on a suit and tie. Excellent essemble. Floris rarely disappoints in this way. Very much contains the Floris "house accords." To me it is leather and tobacco, with some sweetness, "I don't even know what" as Mark Foster might say. An amped up Elite. An earlier point on a continuum where SMN Acqua di Cuba appears much further to the end. Although--and I do not want to start a stampade here--that sweet type note reminds me of Creed Cuir de Russie. That last item means I like this one a lot. First wearing though. We shall see. I am not in general a big Floris fan. But I am "in particular," particularly Elite and 127, in case that helps anyone!

Last edited:
Tiffany for Men

lemon, tangerine, rosewood, cardamom, ylang-ylang, nutmeg, amber, oakmoss, sandalwood, patchouli, tonka bean

If you're only going to have a small selection of fragrances, you might as well have one of the best fragrance creators design it for you. Tiffany & Co. hired none other then Jacque Polge to create this timeless masterpiece. Polge borrowed from his own accomplished Chanel pour monsieur concentree and made it smoother, softer and easier to wear. (Polge is also the nose behind Sycamore, Egoiste, Coromandel, Antaeus, and 31 Rue Cambon, among other Chanel fragrances.) Tfm opens with a brief citrus and spice accord not unlike the typical 80's powerhouse introductions then settles gently into an amber/sandalwood/patchouli accord that's halfway between the uber-macho Antaeus and the uber-smooth Oscar de la Rente pour Lui with just a touch of a powdery note. Tfm is an elegant chypre that consistently exudes a gentlemanly masculinity - and often makes me feel underdressed which is why today I'm wearing a tie on casual Friday.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sampled Mona di Orio's Vetyver last night. I am not a vetiver addict yet this was something else. The supporting notes (ginger, cedar, violet and clary sage) take it a very different place than other vetivers. It may well be FBW.​

Last edited:
Serge Lutens - Santal Blanc

Got a sample of this from someone here about a year ago. I wore it once, found it too feminine, and lost it in the bottom of my stash. Decided to give it another wear today as a casual, easy to wear scent. The sandalwood in the opening is very very nice. It smells almost like AOS sandalwood shave cream, except that it has something floral about it. The note listing suggests that I am getting a lot of the florals that this scent contains. The drydown for me evolves into something easier for me to bare. It is spicy and musky, with the sandalwood, pepper, and musk, but I still get the indolic notes in the background. I like the drydown and the pure sandalwood of this fragrance, and it is everything the name and gender-neutral rating suggest. I'm just not so sure it is for me.

My first post in this forum...enjoyed seeing what everyone else is wearing and gave me some new scents to try. Creed GIT for me today...my all time favorite.

I got a decant of this one a while back. It's nice, but I can't see it being worth the price she gets for a full bottle... I think I'll stick with my 10ml size.

proxy.php

Sampled Mona di Orio's Vetyver last night. I am not a vetiver addict yet this was something else. The supporting notes (ginger, cedar, violet and clary sage) take it a very different place than other vetivers. It may well be FBW.​

What do you think of this one? I've got Back to Black and Taste of Heaven and love both. Just got a straw of Straight to Heaven. Have only dabbed a bit on my hand so far but I liked what I got. Made me think of Tommy Bahama made with top notch ingredients

I adore Straight to Heaven - it's deep, dark and decadent. Boozy, spicy, leathery, woodsy with a great contrasting sweetness. Here are the notes according to luckyscent: Martinican rum absolute, dried fruits accord, Javanese nutmeg oil, hedione, cedarwood, Indonesian patchouli oil, ambergris, vanilla absolute, white musk
If you like Back to Black and Taste of Heaven, then IMHO you should definitely give this one a try as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom