Not open for further replies.
Top notes: citruses, star anise and elemi
Mid notes: neroli, patchouli flower, Indian jasmine and lapsang tea
Base notes: cedar, Mysore sandalwood, cocoa, patchouli and hibiscus seed

proxy.php

Last edited:
View attachment 296347

Monk EdT by Michael Storer.

After much anticipation, I finally got to try this - many thanks for that to our The Chandos.

I have never before experienced such an evolution in my perception and opinion of a scent in such a sort period of time (a day's wearing with a reapplication).

Due perhaps to a combination of some morning anosmia due to the remnants of of a cold combined with a total shattering of expectations, by impressions of this upon first application were shock and disappointment. I was fully expecting a rich, opulent, incense, spice, balsamic oriental along the lines of say Mecca Balasam, and instead all I got, upon straining to get anything, was what smelled like dessicated mortar dust mixed with cocoa butter. It was literally as if someone blindfolded me and told me they were giving me a spoonful of banana cream pie and instead loaded the spoon with corn starch. I thought there must be a mistake, the bottle went bad, the emperor has no clothes. . .

Once the initial shock passed, I essentially gave up on it and went about my business. I was surprised later when I kept detecting a smell that is very familiar and one of my absolute favorites - the smell of old, leather covered wood/cardboard, fabric lined razor cases. Upon focusing further, the scent became even more specific and evocative of a memory - the scent of the leather case that my late father's antique Italian accordion was stored in, with its red felt liner and bags of silica desiccant inside. He used to store that in the basement of the house I was raised in, and as a child I used sometimes go down and open the case - to look and touch, but as much to smell that case.

I reapplied later in the day and perhaps now over my morning clogginess or simply tuned into what was rather than what was expected I discovered a palette of as much subtle brilliance as I've yet experienced through my nose. An opening of orange blossom and bergamot, whose sharpness is deftly muted by rose/jasmine and that vanilla/cocoa butter note. The drydown features a wonderful combination of sandalwood, a hint of musk and civet, and what ever it is that pervades the whole structure that evokes the aroma of old leather bound books/razor/accordion cases and dry, stone and mortar.

In half a day, I went from profound disappointment to a sense of reverence and awe - from, "I'm never wearing this again" to "I could be happy never wearing anything else."

Amazing.

:thumbup:

Impressive turnaround and glad you like it. I find it's something special.

I had a tiny bit of MdO Vetyver that I decanted into an atomizer that previously held Vetiver Tonka. I figured two vetivers would be better than one ( or at least an interesting experiment). When I applied it I was surprised to find that I had created "church incense". It was sweet, smoky and a little cloying but not altogether unpleasant. Maybe a Habit Rouge/ Yatagan frankenfrag is next.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom