What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life has been hectic lately, the weekend was anything but restful. I was able to sample two more oud oils from Agar Aura, though, and was quite impressed, especially with Royal Assam. The other being Royal Kampuchea.

Royal Assam is one of the most approachable Indian ouds I've ever tried. It does have some funk in the opening notes but it's very soft and fades quickly into a beautiful suede-like animalic leather with hay-like sweetness. Instead of the clean vapory notes of Borneo ouds, Royal Assam has more depth and richness and is to me one of the more unique oud oils I've ever tried.

Royal Kampuchea was not as impressive but thoroughly enjoyable all the same. The fruitiness of a Cambodian oud really shines in this one and is one of the reasons I like Cambodian ouds so much. This one is actually sweeter than I'd like, unfortunately, but everything else about it is superior to other Cambodians I've tried.

proxy.php

Today, however,

Vanille 44
by Le Labo

bergamot, incense, mandarin, gaiac, vanille bourbon, muscenone, pipol, hedione

It's been a while since I've worn this and really enjoyed it today. I'm not fond of vanilla in general but there are a few that really rock my world (SDV is one of them). Vanille 44 reminds me a lot of Bulgari Black, actually, with that odd combination of the sweet and sultry vanilla with the kinky bit of rubber and leather. Neither are gourmand and both bring out the spicy woody qualities of vanilla. It's the incense note, though, that is key here - not overpowering but subtle in its use but lending it a resinous aspect. Highly overpriced but worth every penny.

proxy.php

<Vanille 44 reminds me a lot of Bulgari Black, actually, with that odd combination of the sweet and sultry vanilla with the kinky bit of rubber and leather>

I do not know Vanille 44, but that sure is a dead on description of Bulgari Black. I think of the vanillas I like as showing vanilla as a floral rather than smelling like something to eat. But I think you are right that that kind of vanilla has woody qualities as well. Individual accords certainly can be complex.

The "Blue Velvet" still is going to give me nightmares, though!

A candy-colored clown they call the Sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night . . .
And scares the heck out of me! :001_smile

Slammed at work today so just getting to this and no time for lush details. . .

Saturday - Chypre de Coty - the classic that started the genre. Hauntingly structural, spare and unadorned, but very well crafted. I kept getting deja vu moments suggesting many of the classic chypres that followed that I have worn. A bit disorienting, actually.

Sunday - Derek Jeter Driven Black - definitely NOT a classic, nor memorable, nor good. A free sample not to be replaced. Does not help my judgment that I'm from the heart of Red Sox nation.

Today - Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale. A very nice lime/floral EDC, with surprising legs on me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top: Pine, Bergamot, Cypress, Spices
Middle: Spicy Fougère
Base: Patchouli, Leather, Woods, Musk

Anglia Perfumery's version of Crown's Buckingham (1880).

Duncan opens with a blast of bergamot which quickly transitions into lemons and evergreens which is really quite nice and this lemony evergreens lingers for over half an hour. The drydown is fantastic with soapy greens over leather and woods and I don't get any patchouli. The soapy greens last more than 6 hours before musk comes forward and the soapiness begins turning powdery. The frag lasts a total of 12 hours, but the last half is a powdery green musk which lingers as a skin scent until the end. Duncan makes a nice soapy office frag for any time of the year.

Anglia Perfumery Week
Anglia Perfumery Richmond (2006) - Sunday
Anglia Perfumery Strand (2008) - Monday
Anglia Perfumery Duncan (2008) - Tuesday
Anglia Perfumery Isle of Man () - Wednesday
Anglia Perfumery Imperial Lime (2002) - Thursday
Anglia Perfumery Spiced Limes (2005) - Friday

Last edited:
Hermès Terre d'Hermès Parfum from a sample.

Very good longevity, linear, creamy compared to EDT. Easily one of my top ten if I ever manage to make a top ten list. Terre d'Hermès AS was better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom