What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php
[​

...Good notes. I still do not much like chocolate scents, but this one is quite wearable...

I do like chocolate scents. I like chocolate in food, preferably milk chocolate over dark chocolate even though dark is a healthier choice, and I don't like eating white chocolate at all. But I do enjoy whatever the notes are in Chanel Coromandel, and powdered white chocolate seems like a good description as it's not the same chocolate that is in a lot of other scents with a chocolate note, which sometimes are rough. Coromandel is a very elegant scent. By the way, it also has incredible longevity which I really like. I could smell it this morning when I got up, nearly 24 hours after applying a normal, not over-powering amount yesterday.

Peau is also the word for leather, which is made from the hide (skin) of an animal. So, Peau d'Espagne refers to a spanish tradition of curing leather, not necessarily skin as in the epidermis. However, if you're looking for a "leather" that is befitting of gloves, there's a long-standing traditional glove maker called Kislav that issued a perfume called "6-1/2" after their most popular size glove. It's a soft leather scent and in that traditional leather chypre genre with a touch of oriental in the base.

Chandos, you are encyclopedic! And I stand corrected.

I did, of course, realize that "skin" in this case refers to "leather," not untreated skin. From there is gets complicated, but I will note that the SMN web site refer to saddles and harness.

Sorry, Bill R!!! You were right I was wrong!!! Not the first time that has happened and won't be the last!

However, the story gets more complicated, and may be best summed up in http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2007/12/leather-series-5-cuir-de-russie-vs-peau.html .

One might conclude from that article that Peau d'Espagne is chamois. From reading other material, I do not think that is correct. Apparently, what Peau d'Espagne is (or was) is little pieces of chamois that have been highly perfumed with certain scents, that were used as sachets to put with clothes, and things like stationary. (Interesting idea, by the way. It seems kind of a nice thought to open my desk drawer and have it smell like leather than like whatever collection of solvents and inks it does smell like! Seems like a nice thing to toss into a suitcase on a trip to counteract some of those worn socks odors. Maybe a car trunk or glove box.)

However, to come back full circle, perhaps, the above article seems to conclude that modern Peau d'Espagne scents do not smell like the old Peau d'Espagne sachets, but more like saddlery, and maybe that is what I would want a "sachet" for my trunk to smell like.

To further complicate things, SMN says about its Marescialla EDC:
"This unusual perfume was created by a French noblewoman, the Countess D'Aumont, wife of a Marshal of France, who used it to scent her gloves. It is said that because of her interest in alchemy, she was charged with witchcraft and burned at the stake." But Marescialla is mace and lemon, or apple pie or furniture polish, some have said. So I still have no idea what fine women's leather gloves smelled like back in the day, except Chandos' description of Kislav 6 1/2, which I have not tried!

I wonder if Bob Dylan was singing about boots made of chamois? <g> Did he want them scented?

I do like chocolate scents. I like chocolate in food, preferably milk chocolate over dark chocolate even though dark is a healthier choice, and I don't like eating white chocolate at all. But I do enjoy whatever the notes are in Chanel Coromandel, and powdered white chocolate seems like a good description as it's not the same chocolate that is in a lot of other scents with a chocolate note, which sometimes are rough. Coromandel is a very elegant scent. By the way, it also has incredible longevity which I really like. I could smell it this morning when I got up, nearly 24 hours after applying a normal, not over-powering amount yesterday.

+1 on all, except, I do like a white chocolate and raspberry confection of one sort or another sometimes and I do not like chocolate to wear!

Salvador Dali Pour Homme

lavender, bergamot, basil, clary sage; jasmine, muguet, geranium; cedarwood, patchouli, musk, amber, leather, sandalwood, vanilla

There are lots of reviewers that reference cat **** with this one but I don't get that at all, not at all, which is another sign that I need to try Kouros again. I've also read things along the line of coal, incense, and rubber - and THAT sounds interesting! But despite all that, SDph instead reminds me mostly of vintage Bel Ami but with an animalic powdery note in the middle and a bit of vanilla on the end. In general, this is a potent leather fougere, or oriental fougere, that starts off beastly but slowly tapers into a closely worn manly scent. The distance traveled between start to finish is impressive as it starts with a citrus herbal opening that quickly goes haywire - in a good way. It's strange what happens, almost as if the perfume is trying to evolve in different ways - floral, animalic, and woody. They eventually converge in a fantastic combination that is at once very masculine that I swear is like an embellished Bel Ami. I've heard a lot of great reviews of SDph over the years, things that fell right in line with what I've always enjoyed, and I've always wanted to try it. Surprisingly, it's neither hard to find nor expensive, so I'm trying to decide just how badly I really need this. I might have to venture down the Bel Ami/Antaeus highway first but I don't think it'll be hard to convince myself that there's a place for this in my life. Highly recommended!

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom