What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I can definitely understand the price vs. product issue. Profumum is over-priced, for sure, but I think they make some of the best perfumes on the market. It's only complicated by the fact that they don't make 50mL bottles. It's a great house to split because of the cost. Olibanum is one of my other favorites from this house, but there are plenty of really good incense frags out there at a fraction of the cost. But there's nothing like Fumidus!

Un Lys by Serge Lutens- smelsl a lot like one of the Raid scents! Not necessarily bad, but not the best olfactory connection!

Interestingly, I just wore this yesterday for the second time, and I enjoyed it a lot more than my first wearing, where I was expecting it to be something it wasn't (a quality oud centric scent). In contrast to your experience, however, it struck me after the brief opening, which does have a bit of a cough syrup vibe, as rather stark, dessicated like dry cardboard and almost medicinal. The antithesis of sweet or fruity.

M7
by Yves Saint Laurent

Finally! But not my cup of tea. Too sweet, too fruity. I've been wanting to try this one for a long, long time. The opening smelled like leather, which I loved, then it smelled like cherry cough syrup, which was interesting, but it never really recovered. It was somewhat anisic, but bitterly so, like mouthwash. There's an obvious patchouli note in there somewhere, and perhaps a touch of sandalwood, and maybe something vanillic. It's an understandably appreciated scent given it's role in the development of oud in fragrances, synthetic or otherwise, and I can see how at the onset it was probably a very unique scent, but going back to it after the onslaught of fragrances containing oud is a bit disappointing. Granted, I don't smell bad at all, in fact I smell pretty good, but it's just not my cup of tea. Or perhaps I've been converted by all the good oud oils now in my possession.

proxy.php

$Capture.JPG

Arpege by Lanvin (vintage) (yes its a "feminine," but the stuff our grandmothers wore often smelled better than what passes off now for "modern" men)

Last edited:
Don't you just love, after a couple of weeks of trying new scents (mostly pretty good) and just bouncing around a bit, returning to an old favorite and finding it still rocks you to your bones?

$givenchy gentleman.jpg

I think it brought a tear to my eye...

Profumum Antico Caruso.

I'd take a shower and wash this off if I had time this mornig. Something about it really rubs me the wrong way, even if it doesn't smell bad per se. It's old school in a bad way. Overall, I have not been impressed with Profumum so far, except for Arso.

Wow, just goes to show how much YMMV. I would have thought everyone at B&B (unless you just hate almond) would at least like this scent. Old world, casual elegance to me. But cheaper to not love this one - kind of wish I didn't because I'll have to have a bottle when my decant runs out.

Arpege by Lanvin (vintage) (yes its a "feminine," but the stuff our grandmothers wore often smelled better than what passes off now for "modern" men)

It's good to see some vintage Arpege on here. It's definitely a feminine frag but I agree that some of those vintage feminine frags have more cajones than many of the current ones. FYI, it's considered a cross-over scent these days, suitable for men in every way. I guess that's "unisex" then.

I didn't realize we needed reasons to try stuff!

LOL. Of course you're right...maybe justifying my need to sample a certain fragrance an act in futility!

We try them because they are there!

Don't you just love, after a couple of weeks of trying new scents (mostly pretty good) and just bouncing around a bit, returning to an old favorite and finding it still rocks you to your bones?

I think it brought a tear to my eye...

Yes, I do enjoy getting back to old favorites, and finding they are still just as enjoyable. It's also fun to see if my perception of this is different, which is often the case, even if only very slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom