What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
And speaking of Cuir Fauve, I'm wearing that today.
I may have to disagree with you here, though. I like it better than Cuir Cordoba.

Cuir Fauve
by Keiko Mecheri

The notes for this aren't listed but I'll tell you I perceive something fruity up top (briefly) before this turned completely dry and ambery. Some folks say there's some orange blossom in it, and that might have been the source of the brief sweetness but I'm not sure. It reminds me a lot of Amouage's Opus VI, with a sort of burning-dry-airy affect but with a warm burnish to it. I'd say it's an amber/sandalwood/leather accord, perhaps using patchouli to get an amber/leather effect. There's a warm, buttery side to it that I like but in the space between my chest and my nose there's a lot of hot air. "Fauve" means "wild beast" but I'm not getting anything wild or beastly out of this, not unless you consider housepets as "wild beasts." This doesn't make Cuir Fauve a bad fragrance by any means, but it's certainly a very resinous leather, which is something I think Amouage was going for with Opus VI but with respect to amber instead of leather. In short, I suppose my experience didn't match up to my expectations based on the name. On its own, however, I think Cuir Fauve may offer something a bit more unique and interesting for a leather fragrance connoisseur than the same old offerings. If you're looking for a punch in the face with a leather boxing glove, this isn't it. If you're looking for a decorative leather (like Cuir Cordoba), this isn't it. If you're looking for an animalic leather, this isn't it. Cuir Fauve is more esoteric than any of those.

It's not necessarily a bad scent Chris, but to me, a leather scent it is not. Definitely different from any other "leather" I have tried. I can certainly agree that it offers something different than the "same old offerings" which I suppose wins it points for uniqueness.

proxy.php

Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories

Cowboys? Smoke? Camp fire? Leather saddles? Nope, I don't get any of that (despite every review under the sun indicating the conjecture of these associations). Opens with melted vinyl or plastic and dries into a vanilla milkshake poured all over the top of a vintage newspaper or book. Toss in a few licorice sticks for good measure. This may just be my favorite frag of all time. Addictive and divine!​

It's not necessarily a bad scent Chris, but to me, a leather scent it is not. Definitely different from any other "leather" I have tried. I can certainly agree that it offers something different than the "same old offerings" which I suppose wins it points for uniqueness.

No, you're absolutely right about that. If someone was asking for a leather recommendation this is certainly not something I'd recommend. To me it's more about what's supporting the leather than anything else. Resins, amber, I'm not entirely sure.

Tiffany for Men - this may be full bottle worthy...or maybe I need to get a large decant. Tiffany for Men is supposed to smell similar to Chanel Pour Monsieur (not the Concentree version) which is next to impossible to get in the US. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Tiffany for Men is amazingly good stuff! And it's definitely discontinued but not impossible to get. They turn up on Ebay regularly - for a price!

proxy.php

Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories

Cowboys? Smoke? Camp fire? Leather saddles? Nope, I don't get any of that (despite every review under the sun indicating the conjecture of these associations). Opens with melted vinyl or plastic and dries into a vanilla milkshake poured all over the top of a vintage newspaper or book. Toss in a few licorice sticks for good measure. This may just be my favorite frag of all time. Addictive and divine!​

Wow! Tim is definitely in the house! Maybe this scent is an ink blot test out in the real world as opposed to the world of scent reviewers. My wife, who, apparently unlike some wives, does not frequently refer to scents this way, finds this one, of all things, "old ladyish." I do not get that at all. And as evocative as your review is, I do not get that out of this scent at all. I get birch tar and a bunch of funky notes that evoke cowboy images of saddles, jeans that have spent long days in the saddle, and something like coffee (but not smoke or burned or burning wood). Manly-type aromas, I guess. n

And, yes, addictive and devine. I can keep at least a dab of most scents around as sort of a reference. And for most scents I really like, I can and I find it easy to make a decant last a long time by using it only once in awhile. I had a not tiny decant of Lonestar Memories and blew through it wearing it nearly every day until the decant was absolutlely dry!

Last edited:
Imaginary Authors

proxy.php

The Soft Lawn

This is the reformulation of what was my favorite of the original Imaginary Authors series. It was formerly known as Claude LeCoq. Now the scents are named for the authors' books and the scent making has similarly evolved. I remember this fragrance as being very green and lively. It is now better blended. And, while it still retains the wonderful greenness, much of that is created in a better floral accord than it had before. The vetiver is even less pronounced and in my early wearing, I'm not detecting the oak moss that was hiding in the background before. This is still a wonderful fragrance for summer. It is soft, yet still strong enough for a man to wear. I like the reformulation, but may have to do a second wearing with both versions side by side to get a really good comparison!

Profumum Acqua Viva

Wow, burst of really bright lemon zest. The base of wood has a green tinge to it. Got a rare unsolicited "You smell good - citrusy" from SWMBO this morning. This isn't really my style - I prefer richer and rounder scents - this is very sharp and somewhat lean - but it's very good. Glad to have a decant for times when I want something fresh, sharp and classy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom