What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, and Coromandel is often described as similar. My initial reaction on applying this, I think it's very elegant which it typical of Chanel, but I don't see that much similarity to Borneo 1834, which to me is much stronger, louder, and rougher with it's very dark, earthy patchouli and cocoa. Coromandel may have similar notes like patchouli, but Coromandel smells so much more refined I'm not sure I would have ever made the association between the two. They are certainly different enough to try before you buy, and also to justify having both.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Accords: marine, citrus, woody, green, leather

Top: amalfi lemon, bergamot
Middle: sea water, salt, green notes
Base: birch, virginia cedar, vetiver

Summer Fresh Aquatics
Carthusia Uomo (2004) - Sunday
Henrik Vibskov Type C (2011) - Monday
HEELEY Sel Marin (2008) - Tuesday
Cereus No. 4 (2007) - Wednesday
Cereus No. 7 (2007) - Thursday
Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Hyle (2009) - Friday
Hilde Soliani Acquiilssssima (2011) - Saturday

Others:
Olivier Durbano Turquoise (2009) - 5/23/2012
Profumum Acqua di Sale (2008) - 7/09/2012

This one has peeked my interest................I think it is luckyscents time.

Excellent run down as always Chris. To me this one is falls inline with the Knize 10 / Cuir Mauresque family but more floral and feminine. It's a good scent, but doesn't bring anything to the table that K10 or the Lutens doesn't. It's definitely better than their newer exclusive Cuir Fauve...

I couldn't agree more, Tim. Cuir Cordoba smelled nice but reminded me a lot of something you'd get from Bond no. 9 (Cooper Square, maybe?), just a little too fashionable, too clean. Smells good, no doubt about it, but not enough oomph for a leather. And speaking of Cuir Fauve, I'm wearing that today.
I may have to disagree with you here, though. I like it better than Cuir Cordoba.

Cuir Fauve
by Keiko Mecheri

The notes for this aren't listed but I'll tell you I perceive something fruity up top (briefly) before this turned completely dry and ambery. Some folks say there's some orange blossom in it, and that might have been the source of the brief sweetness but I'm not sure. It reminds me a lot of Amouage's Opus VI, with a sort of burning-dry-airy affect but with a warm burnish to it. I'd say it's an amber/sandalwood/leather accord, perhaps using patchouli to get an amber/leather effect. There's a warm, buttery side to it that I like but in the space between my chest and my nose there's a lot of hot air. "Fauve" means "wild beast" but I'm not getting anything wild or beastly out of this, not unless you consider housepets as "wild beasts." This doesn't make Cuir Fauve a bad fragrance by any means, but it's certainly a very resinous leather, which is something I think Amouage was going for with Opus VI but with respect to amber instead of leather. In short, I suppose my experience didn't match up to my expectations based on the name. On its own, however, I think Cuir Fauve may offer something a bit more unique and interesting for a leather fragrance connoisseur than the same old offerings. If you're looking for a punch in the face with a leather boxing glove, this isn't it. If you're looking for a decorative leather (like Cuir Cordoba), this isn't it. If you're looking for an animalic leather, this isn't it. Cuir Fauve is more esoteric than any of those.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom