What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sample of this and really like it, went looking for it and saw conflicting reports on it. Some said discontinued, some said still in production. Do you know which is true? I saw some on Ebay for sale, was going to wait for colder weather to buy a bottle but if it's hard to come by...
As far as I know, it has been discontinued, re-released, and then discontinued again. However, I very recently got a notification that one of the usual online discounters had it in stock again, but I see it is already sold out. Sorry I don't have a more definite answer for you.

It is easily one of my top 5...

EDITED TO ADD: Good catch on the Insense on the BST! I would have been all over that had I seen it sooner! :thumbup:

Last edited:
diptyque's

L' EAU DE NEROLI

proxy.php

proxy.php

Parfum d'Interdits Absolument homme EDP

Notes:
here

I really wonder why this EDP isn’t mentioned more often on this thread. At the price of cca. $1/ml I think it deserves a lot more attention. Absolument homme is very masculine a bit more formal, aromatic woody scent. Upon the first trying it was familiar from somewhere. Still don’t know from where, but funny its drydown reminds me a lot of Rive Gauche.
I like Rive Gauche; it’s herbal, a bit metallic barbershop classic. I admire that fresh/patchouli thing RG has long in the drydown. The problem with RG is that all the time I have the feeling that the scent is detached from my body, as if it is not directly on my skin but radiating from somewhere near me. Maybe RG doesn’t like me.
Absolument homme has very similar drydown (the fougere thing). It’s a little sweeter and a lot fuller but still carries that fresh barbershop appeal beautifully. Absolument homme also somehow connects with the skin. It’s very easy to over apply and longevity surpasses even the famous Rive Gauche. Listed notes are a little mixed up in the order of appearance. It starts woody with bergamot, little later some geranium and only few hours after application I can scent nutmeg. Sandalwood, amberwood, cedarwood and patchouli are all present and distinguishable.

To sum it up I’m not sure whether this is a fougere or a woody aromatic but I believe that rive Gauche/fougere fans will find this scent very interesting.

Last edited:
Tell us about this one, Evan.

Essentially Me was the late Alec Lawless's company. He was a botanical perfumer who passed away fairly recently. (He & his ex-wife Julia started Aqua Oleum, a UK-based purveyor of fine essential oils. Julia still runs that company.)

The sandalwood extract I'm wearing today is part of their botanical extraits line. According to their site, their extraits are "20% aromatic material in aged organic grain alcohol." All I can tell you is, this sandalwood extrait smells like a combination of sandalwood and maple syrup. It. is. freaking. fabulous! It's also not that expensive. £10 gets you a 10ml bottle. Unfortunately, they're currently out of stock.

I honestly don't know how gardenia smells but there was a short documentary the other day about the 'swimming pool' aroma. It doesn't come from chlorinated water. I used to sample water from water reservoirs on the places where water was chlorinated. Just chlorinated water smells metallic/acidic. Characteristic swimming pool aroma comes from chlorinated water mixed with (human) urine. :001_unsur

Chlorine added to water yields two acids depending on temperature and pH (Hypochlorous, HOCl; and Hypochloric, HCl). Urine contains urea (NH2), which is a derivative of ammonia, and reacts readily with Cl- to form chloramines. Chloramine is the "pool" smell, so what you're actually saying is that perhaps gardenia (or jasmine in this case) or perhaps something else in Black Gardenia has a noticeable amount of a chloramine. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom