What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best lavender fragrance ever made! Lamb Root, have you tried this? And I've heard the PdT is where it's at!

It is so much more lavender though, wouldn't you say? Or at least it is a very dark lavender, like a Bulgarian lavender. And it is flithy, if I am remembering it correctly. The PdT is some rare stuff, right? I am pretty sure it is what I had a small sample of quite a while back. Another one of those scents that tends to suck one into a scent addiction.

$nd.12957.jpg

This is the best lavender fragrance ever made! Lamb Root, have you tried this? And I've heard the PdT is where it's at!

Actually I have a few times. Jicky is one of few Guerlain scents that are always available in local perfume shops. I'm afraid it's a little too much for me. Arome 3 or Bois du Portugal are as strong (opulent?) I can go. I do enjoy Muchoir de Monsieur occasionally. MdM and Jicky are not so different.
Anyway, Sous le Vent is better than both put together IMO.

BTW what's PdT?

Agar Aura - Tropica

...and my bottles of Neriko & Cuir Chypre just showed up! Neriko's on deck for tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Great pic, Aaron!

Jicky vintage Parfum de Toilette

I agree! That is why I love these photos. That is exactly the typeof image this scent conjures up in me! It is a better descrption to me than a list of the top, middle, and basenotes.

Thanks fellas :thumbup:

And I've heard the PdT is where it's at!

It's so awesome. I need to retry the EdT though, I haven't sniffed that version in quite some time.

BTW what's PdT?

Guerlain uses(d) Parfum de Toilette (PdT) and Eau de Parfum (EdP) interchangeably on some scents, Jicky being one of them.

Guerlain uses(d) Parfum de Toilette (PdT) and Eau de Parfum (EdP) interchangeably on some scents, Jicky being one of them.

Thanks Aaron. I feel so ashamed. I realizedthat I knew that.
The problem with me is that if I stay here long enough (a month or a year) I'll ask the same question again. :laugh:

Creed Royal Water

I've enjoyed my decant of this so much that I considered getting a bottle, but when they let me sniff from the bottle it smelled noticeably different. Where the Royal Water in my decant smells very cool and smooth, the bottle had an almost coniferous note to it, a sort of warmth, very subtle, but noticeably different to me. I decided to just enjoy my decant for as long as I can.

Tauer Incense Rose

I am not usually all that big on rose or incense scents. (Exceptions re the former, maybe C&S "88," although it is much more than a rose scent, and certainy Montale "Black Aoud." Exceptions re the latter, again, I suppose, 88, but certainly Profumum "Olibanum" and Tauer "Incense Extreme.") But I really like this one. I would say it is smack in the middle of the continuum of what we think of as masculine versus feminine scents. I would also that it is dominated by frankincense rather than rose, and also has all sorts of resiny stuff going on outside of the incense, including cedar.

I suppose, I prefer Tauer "Incense Extreme" over this one, and, as I recall the incense notes are pretty close. But the dark rose/frankincense mix has its appeal, too.

I think what I had a small atomizer (maybe 3 or 4 ml) of the Jicky fairly long ago was an eau de parfum expression. And like I said previously, it may have been vintage, too. What I recall is the person who gave it to me saying that he had a heck of a time tracking it down, and that he ended up finding a bottle in Singapore (something like Singapore?), from some individual, not a store again, as I recall, and buying it and having it shipped to the States. As I recall, he paid what seemed like a fortune for it at the time. But that was early on my trip down this ruinous road of scent acquisition, so maybe it was not all that much compared to some of the things I have acquired in the meantime.

I do not know how he came to be seeking it out. It may have been simply that he knew the edt version and had heard stuff he liked about the PdT version.

Anyway, does any of this sound like the current version of the Jicky PdT? Or was this almost surely no vintage version. Of course the current PdT version may have gotten a lot easier to obtain in the meantime.

As I said before, whatever it was, it "blew me away." So powerful. So funky/dirty. So deep. So complex. So evolving on the skin. So tenacious. Lavender but not that light, zippy-do-da, lavender I also love.

I agree that MdM is pretty close to Jicky. I have only had the current edt strenght version of MdM, though.

By the way, this was Tom Schram (tsmba), who used to be on this board frequently and a good friend to me and to B&B, but whom I do not seem to be able to track down these days. If anyone knows what he is up, or, better, a way to contact him, I would be grateful to have that information.

For me today, Creed Virgin Island Water. I started wearing this scent, which many folks really like but I do not in particular, to see if it would grow on me. And, what the heck, if others really like it, there is no harm me wearing it. It has grown on me a bit, but not all that much.

I love Moonshine! I think there is a similarity to D R Harris Windsor and I will need to do a side-by-side. I think Moonshine is spicier and I like black pepper in a frag.

proxy.php

Accords: Citrus, Green, Floral, Balmy, Animalic, Herbal

Top: Green notes, Galbanum, Petitgrain, Bergamot, Lemon
Middle: Muguet, Rose, Fern, Mandarin, Carnation
Base: Moss, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Civet, Tonka, Labdanum

Opens with a strong blast of citrus which is one of the best that I have experienced, very fresh and not synthetic. The dry-down is non-offensive with good projection and this could make for a nice office frag. I was too involved at the office to follow its developement throughout the day, but that also speaks to the unintrusive nature of the frag. Well, for the first 6 hours anyways, until the frag turns powdery on my skin. Don't know if its Tonka or Labdanum that's the source of the powdery note or if there is also amber as noted on Fragrantica. Signoricci reminds me of another frag and I just haven't been able to put my finger on it. I only used a couple sprays from my 8ml decant so I have plenty more oportunities available with this one.

Wild Fern Week
Geo. F. Trumper Wild Fern (1877) - Monday
Penhaligon's English Fern (1890) - Tuesday
Olympic Orchids Olympic Rainforest (2010) - Wednesday
Slumberhouse Norne (2012) - Thursday
Nina Ricci Signoricci (vintage 1965) - Friday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom