What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Guerlain a niche or a designer fragrance? Guerlain doesn't make clothing and lots of other "designer" goods that most designer fragrance houses, do, although Guerlain does produce makeup, and some Guerlain frags, including Vetiver, are widely available, including at most department stores.
proxy.php

I don't think of Guerlain as niche. Like you said, some of their fragrances are available in department stores which is not the case with niche houses. Whether that places them in the mainstream/designer category, I'm not sure.

So is Guerlain a niche or a designer fragrance? Guerlain doesn't make clothing and lots of other "designer" goods that most designer fragrance houses, do, although Guerlain does produce makeup, and some Guerlain frags, including Vetiver, are widely available, including at most department stores.
proxy.php

I would not say "niche" either. Too prevalent. Too widely known and admired.

I have never been sure what a "designer" frag is, unless someone who is famous for being a "designer," whatever that is, has his/her name on the frag! "Designer frag" to me is near perjorative, unless we are talking something from back in the day, say powerhouse 70-80s scents. Unless, I suppose, Dior is a designer. Are haute coutre folks "desginers"? I am not sure!

Diorling
vintage EdT
by Christian Dior

hyacinth, bergamot; iris, jasmine, rose, lily-of-the-valley; vetiver, musk, patchouli, oak moss, leather

Diorling is one of the "three Dior chypres" (Miss Dior and Diorama are the other two) and is supposedly one of the most refined leather chypres ever created, with a soft suede-like leather note, often compared vintage Bandit. However, I find Diorling to be much less bitter than Bandit and more fruity along the lines of a Patou. In fact, I don't get any leather notes at all but instead just a very elegant fruity-floral opening with strong mossy notes. Unfortunately, this one just disappears on me, like a shy introvert that leaves without saying goodbye. I wore a vintage EdC version of Diorling yesterday and had the same issues, was hoping the EdT would do better, but even after four sprays I have to put my nose under my collar to smell anything. Given the obscurity of this one, the short longevity and poor showing of basenotes will save me a lot of trouble and money.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Accords: Leather, Woody, Animalic, Smoky, Warm Spicy
Notes: Birch Tar, Ambergris, Leather, Musk, Vetiver, Woods, Civet

Seems folks either love it or hate it and I'm loving it! Opens with smoke, tear gas, gasoline and leather over civet. On my skin this battle rages for about 2 hours and then as suddenly as it began...bang!...the war is over and we have peaceful woods and vetiver lasting another 3-4 hours until they too fade away, but on my clothing the battle continues to rage all day long...

Wore this to a department meeting this morning so perhaps now they will start a revolution against me...hahaha!

Indie Scents Week
Smell Bent Saddle Warmer (2009) - Monday
Smell Bent Debonair (2009) - Tuesday
Lisa Kirk Revolution (2010) - Wednesday
Eastwest Bottlers Moonshine (2011) - Thursday
Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Hand of Buddha (2011) - Friday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom