What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enabler! I caved and bought a sample of this one based on your notes.

I'll be getting a bottle of this, for sure. And a good thing, too, because that means I won't be able to afford Kemenyan, which I was trying to figure out what I could sell off so I could buy it. There's nothing I like better than sandalwood but even pure mysore can seem a little hollow at times. But the addition of oud gives it so much depth and layers without taking away from the sandalwood experience. J2K has just the right balance, it's perfect.

Comme des Garcons Zagorsk- very mild and long lasting- didn't really care for the scent- kinda cucumber/cedar to my nose.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Main: Powdery, Woody, Floral, Citrus, Amber, Herbal

Top: French Verbena, Florentine Iris
Middle: Violet Leaves
Base: Mysore Sandalwood, Ambergris

At the same time soapy clean, flowery fresh and citrusy bright. GIT is linear on my skin, the notes remain consistantly in balance from start to finish and it lasts more than 12 hours. I could easily make this my signature scent if I knew I could get future bottles for just 50cents/ml like I did with this 2011 batch.

I did a side-by-side of GV and GIT last night and found these two frags to be even more similar than I initially thought. The only difference I found was that GIT was a little brighter with greater projection and longevity than GV. There wasn't enough difference between these frags for me to tell them apart any more than I could differentiate individual batches of GIT.

Spring Creed Week

Last edited:
proxy.php

Rancé's Le Vainqueur is a new addition. It's a complex somewhat funky scent that was allegedly made for Napoleon. The notes are listed as: nutmeg, ginger, melon, citruses and watermelon; middle notes are lavender, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and geranium; base notes are leather, orris, amber and musk. I'm waiting for the dry down, but so far it's wearing close to the skin and definitely shows some animalic tendencies. An interesting new addition!

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

$monica-bellucci-for-dolce-gabbana-ss12_2.jpg
Monica is the modern day version of Sophia Laren, couldn't find any pics of her in leather though :(
Fitting, since I forgot to put on my belt this morning.

Myrrhe et Delires
by Guerlain

grapefruit, black pepper, pink pepper, pear, rose, iris, incense, licorice, patchouli, Somalian myrrh

I'd heard mostly mediocre things about this one from Guerlain's l'Art et Matiere line (same line as Bois d'Armenie and Cuir Beluga, among others) but still wanted to try it based on the notes. Not surprisingly I don't pick up half of them but instead get pretty much just myrrh right out of the gate - no citrus, no fruit, no pepper either. However, what is surprising is that I'm not getting a typical Guerlain vanilla dominated accord. Instead, Thierry Wasser, who created this one for Guerlain, let the myrrh do all the vanilla work on it's own and used the other notes as support along the way. Also surprisingly is that this is not as sweet as I would have guessed. Although not dry, either, the other notes, especially the licorice, patchouli, and incense are there to hold up the myrrh and keep it squarely in the center, but without ever becoming obvious notes on their own. I'm not sold on it but based on what I've read I'm getting rather good results compared with others. Longevity is a bit short compared to others in this line, and sillage is pretty low, too, but something about this makes me think it'd make a great summertime frag for those who like light incense in hot weather.

proxy.php

LIDGE

I was a bit underwhelmed when I (blind) bought a bottle of this. But it's growing on me with every wearing - I was expecting a New Haarlem like punch in the face with lemon and cocoa. Should have realized that a Guerlain wouldn't behave that way. Now I find that I'm wearing my New Haarlem decant rarely and go to the refinement of LIDGE quite often.

LIDGE

I was a bit underwhelmed when I (blind) bought a bottle of this. But it's growing on me with every wearing - I was expecting a New Haarlem like punch in the face with lemon and cocoa. Should have realized that a Guerlain wouldn't behave that way. Now I find that I'm wearing my New Haarlem decant rarely and go to the refinement of LIDGE quite often.
I also prefer LIDGE over New Haarlem and I was lucky enough to have someone who picked up a new bottle of LIDGE for me a couple months ago during their European travels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom