What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Notes: needle, lichen, fern, moss

Norne is the frag I was originally looking for before I ran across the sample suite at Slumberhouse so it is only fitting that I wear it a couple of times this week.

Norn: any of the three goddesses of fate in Norse myth

This is Slumberhouse Wakening Week

This is the only Slumberhouse frag I've purchased a full bottle of. Smells beautiful & foresty when first applied, and lasts forever. I need to wear it some more.

What do you think of its development & drydown?

Good point, as an objective observer I noticed that there is a huge difference between the smell of marijuana buds - burning or not - and hashish.

Try Smell Bent Hungry Hungry Hippies - smells like pot brownies (another objective observation).

oh man ! I can feel the Fragrance Acquisition disorder coming on!

Philip Sava
by Imaginary Authors

vanilla from Madagascar, Somalian myrrh, bergamot, benzoin resin, ambrette seeds, white oak

Another fragrance based on the life of an imaginary author, Philip Sava evokes key elements in his exile on a Mediterranean island - vanilla biscotti, lattes, and a handmade boat from oak - but does not have an island feel to it. Instead, this has a soft, cozy feel that reminds me of cold, rainy days spent watching movies under a blanket. The opening bergamot is very subtle but any more might be too much to transition smoothly into the vanilla and "root beer" (myrrh) notes, which give it a slightly gourmand feel. I don't detect the benzoin or the ambrette although that doesn't mean they aren't present - they might pop out later - but the oak is obvious and really grounds what would otherwise be just another blandly sweet vanilla-based scent. I still feel like this needs more oomph to it - like some pepper or some cardamom - and would prefer less myrrh (I like it but only in very small doses) but that doesn't mean Philip Sava doesn't have a time and a place - there are many folks that would truly enjoy the prominent myrrh notes and find this scent very appealing.

On another note, by comparison to Blavot, I recognize the carrier in this scent but can't quite place it. The carrier is fairly non-descript but has a texture that gives the perfume a slight "fuzzy" feel, almost like the nap of suede leather, or maybe even the micro-texture of nubuck. If I detect it in other creations from Imaginary Authors, I'll know it's the carrier, whether it's DPG or something else. Regardless, I think it might be limiting the wearer's experience with these perfumes. I'll know more after I've tested a few more.

proxy.php

I love this process. Excellent notes, as always. I got big gourmand from this. To me cocoa and coffee upfront. Lots of vanilla extract-type vanilla. Isn't oak vanilla-y, too? It is in chardonnay, as I recall, but there adds "bite," too. I speculated that those who really like gourmands would really like this one. I find that I like gourmands less and less as time goes by. But I realize that is my blind spot.

So you think that dipropylene glycol as a carrier oil, is slowing the release of aromatics from the essential oils and making the scents duller? (I am mostly making that up. I know little about carriers!)
IA "Valereo" (sp?) today. Seems more patcholi to me today than previously and with vanilla overtones itself, but still rose dominated over a mascline base. Very appealing to me.

I know very little about carriers, actually, except that DPG is one of them and that you have to actually cut it with something else, water I think, maybe alcohol. There are other carriers, too, but I don't have any experience with them. In the case of Imaginary Authors, there's a common feel in them that to me is characterized by a fuzziness that may or may not be affecting the scent. Dulling is not a word I would use although that is one of many possible effects. And it may or may not be coming from the carrier at all, but perhaps the source for the ingredients, which is where the quality of the ingredients comes into play.

I also don't know about oak providing vanilla tones but you may be right, which in this case would draw out the vanilla even more. But I like the woody edge it gives a lot and think it was a wise choice for a woody note. However, I still think there's something missing - I want to rough this up a little and give it a little something and I think it's a drop of oud, preferably something with a barnyard note, something that would turn a cozy snuggle in front of the TV into a dirty romp. But that's me and not all perfumes need to be like that. There's certainly nothing wrong with this perfume, it's a bit linear with vanilla playing front center but lots of folks like that.

I love this process. Excellent notes, as always. I got big gourmand from this. To me cocoa and coffee upfront. Lots of vanilla extract-type vanilla. Isn't oak vanilla-y, too? It is in chardonnay, as I recall, but there adds "bite," too. I speculated that those who really like gourmands would really like this one. I find that I like gourmands less and less as time goes by. But I realize that is my blind spot.

So you think that dipropylene glycol as a carrier oil, is slowing the release of aromatics from the essential oils and making the scents duller? (I am mostly making that up. I know little about carriers!)
IA "Valereo" (sp?) today. Seems more patcholi to me today than previously and with vanilla overtones itself, but still rose dominated over a mascline base. Very appealing to me.

Last edited:
For many years I used Roget & Gallet's imaginatively named 'l'Homme'. You can just see Roget & Gallet's marketing team sitting down one morning and with their creative boots on, say to each other "what shall we call our new mens fragrance range?" One bright spark, destined for great things, pipes up "lets call it "The Man". "Great" the rest echo "the day's job's done - let's go to lunch."

It was however, a very pleasant cologne. They stopped making it around 2003 and I have, without success, sought one I liked as much. I am delighted to report as of 2012, it is back in production. It seems to go down very well with women and it is the only cologne I have ever received compliments on.

Wilson

This is the only Slumberhouse frag I've purchased a full bottle of. Smells beautiful & foresty when first applied, and lasts forever. I need to wear it some more.

What do you think of its development & drydown?
Norne seems to be quite linear, but similar to my experience with Jeke and Grev, this frag starts out powerful and then after 2-3 hours it quickly fades to a faint 3" projection. It is rather cool in the office so maybe it projects better in warmer climates or on sweatier skin. Jeke did come alive again last night after I went for a run so that may have something to do with it.

Montale Black Aoud. I enjoyed this much more today then previously. Didn't last too long, but it was not as "rosey." Certainly better then the C&S 88.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom