What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive

When I first put it on I thought that it was a "meh" generic modern aquatic-ish scent that was pleasant enough, but not worth the price. Now that I've had it on for a while, it's gotten much sweeter and less enjoyable to me, while still being generic. A definite no. Honestly, even if you like sweet scents, I can't see this stuff meriting the high price, but since I don't like sweet scents, I'm the wrong person to ask.

I'll say this, the longevity on this stuff is amazing. And after almost 14 hours, I finally noticed the pineapple, which was pretty nice. Not enough to salvage the scent, though.

Sandalo
proxy.php

Paco Rabanne pour Homme

A blast from the 70's and 80's powerhouse era. When used in MODERATION it is a wonderful, aromatic fougere that is actually quite fun to wear. If you apply it like we did back then, well, you will bother everyone in the room and perhaps the next one over. I don't remember there actually being a competition back then, but apparently whoever smelled the loudest, at the greatest distance won. I really don't recall what the prize was either, but it seems I didn't win. Anyway, as I said, it's a nice aromatic fougere that has the basics, lavender and oakmoss. It starts with a nice spicy opening including some sage, rosemary, rosewood and laurel. The heart adds the lavender along with some geranium, and the base has some moss, honey, tonka, musk and amber. The base has just a touch of sweetness that really helps to smooth out the spices in the opening. The sweetness does not go over the top and render it a sweet fragrance though. Overall, I can really see how I truly liked this back in the day, and I guess the times simply tempered the application strength into acceptable levels. I don't think that nowadays I could possibly apply using the stock sprayer, I had to decant it into one with much more control over the application. If you like the aromatic fougere type fragrances, and actually enjoyed the 70's and 80's then this one is due a revisit, albeit with today's sensible moderation.

But remember, YMMV.

proxy.php

No Accords or Notes available

This seems to be a nice smelling frag, but it is very weak on my skin and I am having a hard time getting a reading. I added a couple more shotd to the back of my hand over lunch in hopes that it would help, but it didn't and that may be a good thing. Like Guerlain and L'Occitane this frag starts out nice and then turns into a powdery nightmare after 3-4 hours, but at least this frag has the decency to quickly bow out instead of hanging around as an annoyance.

This is Vintage Vetyver Veek!

Last edited:
Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

mandarin, lavender, petitgrain; cardamom, nutmeg; oakmoss, vetiver, opoponax, vanilla

I was excited to sample this one based on it's comparison to Tiffany for Men, or rather, it was the other way around: Tiffany for Men was created by Jacques Polge, who also created CPMC, and which many consider to be either a rip-off or an improvement. I gotta say that Tiffany for Men is an improvement on CPMC based on the increased longevity alone. I can tell a difference between the two scents, however. Besides the obvious patchouli note, Tiffany has a bit more of a powdery note, nothing overly feminine, but just enough to make it smell sophisticated. That powdery note is largely missing in CPMC, which also opens with something that reminds me a lot of Bois des Iles, an accord of notes that bears the unmistakable stamp of a Chanel perfume. There are two main difference between the two and they are quite distinctive: CPMC uses lavender in the opening, which is not included in Tiffany, while Tiffany adds some amber, sandalwood, and patchouli to the base, an accord primarily responsible for all the love and attention it receives and deserves. CPMC instead dries down to an oakmoss that is meekly supported by the vetiver, opoponax and vanilla, none of which are very obvious but do enough to make the oakmoss more interesting. The overall construction smells amazing but the longevity leaves something to be desired. I think my favorite part was the opening and I wish it stayed around. My final verdict is that this smells fantastic and is extremely well made, but spray liberally and under your shirt to make it last - just wait a little while for it to tone down before you approach the public. And if you don't like the powder or patchouli in Tiffany, this is probably going to be a solid winner for you.

proxy.php

Slumberhouse
proxy.php

Norne

From the website:

Fog caked needle, lichen, fern and moss perfume the nocturnal air beneath grandiose canopies of fir and hemlock - a headspace captured in perfect equilibrium. Containing not one single essential oil nor synthetic, Norne is luxuriously composed entirely with 100% pure forest absolutes; a connoisseur grade fantasy/surrealist recipe of incensed coniferous woodsy resins inspired by the catharsis of self worship.

Yeah, ok. But within that marketing-speak, the words "incensed coniferous woodsy resins" pretty much nail this scent. It's like walking through a pine forest. Really lovely stuff -- woodsy, piney, & earthy w/hints of smoke. I like it a lot, but I can already see that longevity is an issue. It was quiet on my skin almost from the moment I applied it. I can still smell it but it's awfully faint. Still, this one could be FBW, especially since it's not all that expensive.

Good stuff!

Slumberhouse
proxy.php

Norne

From the website:

Fog caked needle, lichen, fern and moss perfume the nocturnal air beneath grandiose canopies of fir and hemlock - a headspace captured in perfect equilibrium. Containing not one single essential oil nor synthetic, Norne is luxuriously composed entirely with 100% pure forest absolutes; a connoisseur grade fantasy/surrealist recipe of incensed coniferous woodsy resins inspired by the catharsis of self worship.

Yeah, ok. But within that marketing-speak, the words "incensed coniferous woodsy resins" pretty much nail this scent. It's like walking through a pine forest. Really lovely stuff -- woodsy, piney, & earthy w/hints of smoke. I like it a lot, but I can already see that longevity is an issue. It was quiet on my skin almost from the moment I applied it. I can still smell it but it's awfully faint. Still, this one could be FBW, especially since it's not all that expensive.

Good stuff!

I just sampled this one too, and thought very highly of it. I only put some on my skin but it did last quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom