What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

The Different Company Rose Poivrée

Aventus by Creed

proxy.php

I've just begun the journey into higher-end fragrances.

Up until 5 days ago, my wife's favorite fragrance was Obsession for Men. We agreed to get each other fragrances for our anniversary this year. So, I went to a frilly store in my town and tried on 4 different fragrances, then went home so she could sample them.

Wow.

If I'd have known how she'd react to fragrances like Aventus, I'd have bought a gallon of that stuff years ago!

Over the last few days, I've also procured a bottle of Geo. F. Trumper's Eucris and a full sample set of D. R. Harris. Of the Harris fragrances, my wife loves Harris' Albany the most.

As far as colognes go, I did't know what I was missing all these years.

Crown - Town and Country

Best way to describe this one is to simply start with Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. It's almost a dead ringer except for a few changes;

Remove BB's lemon opening and replace with an amazing dry lavender blast that still remains quite refreshing.
Remove BB's arrogance and sometimes overpowering sillage, and replace with a more approachable nature that does not overpower.

There is also supposed to be some Clary Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme as well. I know that there is something else there, and assume that these notes are it, but I cannot detect them with enough clarity to discern just when and where they come into play.

Overall this one is a winner, it behaves itself, is personally satisfying, and does not encourage those around you to feel somehow lowered in your presence. Sometimes there are days that you don't wish to lower those around you, but feel like wearing BB, this fits the bill perfectly!

Of course, YMMV

Early American Old Spice (for Women)
by Shulton

vintage

I found a bottle of this at an antique store a couple of weeks ago and although the bottle is nearly empty I thought it would be an interesting buy especially given the interests in Old Spice here on the B&B. Although I'm sure I overpaid, $4 was not a lot of money to spend on what appeared to be at least 5mL maybe more and for what I thought would be an interesting conversation piece here. At the time, I knew that Shulton was the original formula of Old Spice but didn't know that Early American was the women's line and the first product introduced by William Lightfoot Shultz back in 1937. My bottle (below) is doubtfully dated that far back but more likely to the 1960's, at least that's my guess, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was off plus or minus 10 years. The Clifton, NJ & Toronto locations printed on the bottom of the bottle probably date it to the late 40s or 50's at the earliest, especially given the absence of a zip code. However, the pressurized spray mechanism and design of the bottle, plus the concentration of "cologne spray" make me think this is not as late, therefore I guess this is at least 40 years old, maybe 50. I like the bottle design all right, has a kind of Eastern flair, genie in a bottle maybe, giving it a kind of exotic "spice" and travel feel.

But how does it smell, you ask! I'm not overly keen on it, actually, but it's really not that bad. It's kinda grown on me. At first it smelled like an "old lady," which is not something I would say often, but it smelled old and it smelled like powder and flowers, but I attribute the "old" to being deteriorated citrus notes while the powder and flowers smelled pretty fresh for it's age. It was, however, inspired by a bottle or rose potpourri Schultz' mother used to keep, so with that in mind, this formula was pretty dead on and I'm quite impressed. After the powder-flower introduction, however, spices begin to play out in an herbal/garden kind of way. I picked up some clove, some herbs (basil, maybe?), and some florals (mostly rose but a little bit of spicy floral, perhaps carnation or geranium). Now it's beginning to warm up even more, becoming even more masculine in the drydown, and I'm getting something that I didn't quite expect. Instead of a sandalwood/oak moss/patchouli accord, it has a dry but appealing woody-vanilla accord.

Notes listed for this include rose, iris, orange, lemon, lavender, basil, petit grain, cloves, carnation, geranium, lily of the valley, sandalwood, cedar, herbs, ambergris, vanilla, and spices; and from what I understand these old Shulton bottles used really good quality ingredients. Although mine has aged, it has aged well, everything was blended seamlessly, and for a vintage women's fragrance, this has a very pleasant, warm, spicy, and masculine appeal. Keep your eyes open, if you happen to find some, I highly recommend you buy it.

[/FONT]$DSCN2116.jpg$DSCN2112.jpg$DSCN2114.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom