What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smooth suede leather with a hint of what smells to me like smoky immortelle and wormwood.
proxy.php

Ivan, the notes on this one look outstanding. Are you enjoying it?

Well, not any more. My wrists are now serving as organic blotters for Tsar/Grafton comparison.
ED Tarocco has really good start. Notes (?) are combined to remind of a soft sweet mouth watering red orange. In minutes it transforms into a nice clean scent that tones down quickly. Some weird kind of dry freshness is always present. Kind of spicy, but not exactly spices of my choice. If I had many drawers to put my fragrances in I wouldn't know where to put this one. Day/night, summer/winter, sweet/dry gender-wise? That and the musk thing bother me. Not the best Diptyque for me.

I've been trying a lot of AS's lately to find one that smells good to me, yet is subtle enough for my wife. Yesterday, I found a bottle of Old Spice AS in traditional fragrance on sale and picked it up. This morning, I applied it after my morning shave. Then, I went into the kitchen to have a cup of coffee and read the Sunday paper. After I sat down and picked up the sports section, my wife looked at me, sniffed, frowned, wrinkled up her face and and said, "Now that's way too strong." When she got up to to escape my olfactory faux pas, I volunteered to leave the kitchen instead, but she stopped me with a hand to my chest. "No, you stay in here or you're going to stink up the whole house."

Gentlemen whose SWMBO's have sensitive noses! What subtle fragrance can I purchase that will please both myself and my wife? I'd prefer a balm if at all possible, since the alcohol based AS's seem to generally be much strong smelling. The fragrances of balm seem more calm. I tried TOBS Luxury After Shave Cream, and she said it smelled like women's face powder. Sandalwood? Too strong. Lime? Too sweet. Etc., etc. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've been trying a lot of AS's lately to find one that smells good to me, yet is subtle enough for my wife. Yesterday, I found a bottle of Old Spice AS in traditional fragrance on sale and picked it up. This morning, I applied it after my morning shave. Then, I went into the kitchen to have a cup of coffee and read the Sunday paper. After I sat down and picked up the sports section, my wife looked at me, sniffed, frowned, wrinkled up her face and and said, "Now that's way too strong." When she got up to to escape my olfactory faux pas, I volunteered to leave the kitchen instead, but she stopped me with a hand to my chest. "No, you stay in here or you're going to stink up the whole house."

Gentlemen whose SWMBO's have sensitive noses! What subtle fragrance can I purchase that will please both myself and my wife? I'd prefer a balm if at all possible, since the alcohol based AS's seem to generally be much strong smelling. The fragrances of balm seem more calm. I tried TOBS Luxury After Shave Crea, and she said it smelled like women's face powder. Sandalwood? Too strong. Lime? Too sweet. Etc., etc. Any suggestions?

Maybe Boellis Panama 1924 balm?

What subtle fragrance can I purchase that will please both myself and my wife? I'd prefer a balm if at all possible, since the alcohol based AS's seem to generally be much strong smelling. The fragrances of balm seem more calm. I tried TOBS Luxury After Shave Crea, and she said it smelled like women's face powder. Sandalwood? Too strong. Lime? Too sweet. Etc., etc. Any suggestions?
My recommendation would be Truefitt & Hill 1805 Aftershave Balm, but if that is not subtle enough for you then Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort (Unscented) will truely fitt the bill.

Samples:
http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_10106__37.html

Smooth suede leather with a hint of what smells to me like smoky immortelle and wormwood.

Have you tried HdP Marquis de Sade? Is so how do these compare? The MdS comes across to me as a very smooth leather with enough immortelle to get a bit of the maple and floral but not so much that you get the fenugreek/curry notes. Still not sure where I stand on MdS but it is definitely interesting.

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui- j'aime beaucoup!

I've always said OdlR poul Lui is very much underrated - for an 80's frag, it's not "too" loud AND the sandalwood really stands out in this one. I've got the vintage aftershave, too!

Today I tried l'Artisan Parfumeur's Batucada. I was tempted by the notes, mostly: lime, cachaça accord, spearmint, tiaré, ylang-ylang, coconut, aquatic note, musk. OK, to be specific I was interested in the cocounut and even how the coconut would work with mint; but the "aquatic note" was a red flag. Not to worry, I didn't really get anything "aquatic." It opened up sweetly fruity and I didn't like it but it went through two transitions and got better each time. Overall, I never got any coconut and so I'm very much disappointed and the overall effect to me was more along the lines of Bond no. 9 and not what I'd expect from l'Artisan. I will say that although this was inspired by a drink, this is less "Carnival" and more casually "Girl from Ipanema."

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom