What's new

Whats Cooking? 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinner tonight was my own recipe, Morrocan style "Ras el Hanout" Roast Chicken. Picked up a beautiful local naturally raised bird. I slathered the bird in yoghurt based marinade that contained my fresh ground spice mix, garlic and lemon juice. Stuffed the innards with a dice up blood orange & lemon , thyme and rosemary.

On the side we have, duck fat roasted potatoes in thyme n cubeb pepper and sauteed beets and carrots

all sprinkled with a dash of truffle salt :)

Tom morrow i plan on making a stock with the carcass and making fresh noodles for a hearty chicken noodle soup! Hopefully i can get pics of those up as well

I truly enjoyed using the Emily Henry Bakeware, and if i may add the new "Flame Top" line is absolutely wonderful! beautiful glaze .. really enjoyed my first roast with it

For your viewing pleasure:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Bon Apetit Gents

Last edited:
Seared NY Strip, Roasted Taters and Broc. The potatoes tasted like a creamy potato chip, so good. Not so good on presentation, but it tasted good.
Let me know if the pic doesnt show for you guys, I had a problem posting one last time.

proxy.php

$DSC02890.jpg$DSC02891.jpg$DSC02893.jpg$DSC02894.jpg$DSC02896.jpgI had a curry night last night: Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Jalfrezi, gohbi aloo (without the spuds!), Indian style carrot salad and a pomegranate riata.

I've tried to add some photos, but again some are bit blurred.

First one, chicken marinading in grated garlic, ginger, tumeric, garam masalah, salt and a little oil to bind it.
Two: stir-frying onion, garlic, green chillies, green pepper and tomato wedges
Three: Chef's helper(!) Could be why the *@#$%^!! photos keep coming out blurred...
Four: frying off the chicken. Needs about ten mins then add back the vegetables, and a spoon of tom puree. I also add a pinch of sugar to balance the acid from the puree
Five: slow cooking the Rogan Josh - fry off lamb chunks in batches in butter to get some colour on them. Set aside, and add the spices: tumeric, cumin, coriander and chilli powder plus minced ginger and garlic. Fry for a minute or so and add back the meat and any juices. Stir all around to coat the meat with the spices. Add a sliced onion and fry for a few mins. Add tom puree and and couple of skinned, de-seeded chopped toms. About a pint of water and bring to gentle simmer and cover, let it go at least an hour. When it's ready, check for seasoning and add salt to taste and stir in a tablespoon of cream or yoghurt and a handful of chopped coriander leaves.

$DSC02897.jpg$DSC02899.jpg$DSC02901.jpg

Aloo Gohbi: Fry onions, garlic and green chillies in a little oil until the onions are soft. If using potatoes add them here. Add cauli florets and cook for 3 or 4 mins. Add the spices: tumeric, coriander, cumin, garam masalah and salt and coat the cauli mixture, fry about five mins. Add a tablespoon of butter, mix in, and then about a half cup of water. Simmer for five mins and then add in some minced ginger at the end.
Carrot salad: Make a dressing with lime juice, pureed garlic (mash it into the board with your knife), tumeric, coriander and salt and a neutral oil, say grapeseed. Add grated carrot and toss the dressing through. If the limes are too sharp you might want to add some sugar or honey.
The finshed articles.

I didn't take a pic of the riata, just add pomegranate juice and some of the seeds to a bowl of yoghurt, add salt and sugar to taste. Cool and refreshing and pink.

Serve with a shop bought naan and more Chef's helpers!

A wonderful warm Saturday and it was time for the bbq (you Americans like to call it the grill :001_tt2:)

Simple green salad and a nice piece of Entrecote from the bbq. My wife was very enthusiastic and selected one of my favourite wines from the cellar to enjoy with the meal. Penfold's St Henri - 1998 was fantastic.

proxy.php

A luncheon for mums Birthday today-

Baked beans

some sides

Glazed ham

Nio photo of the salad desserts and coffee- too tired by then!

Last edited by a moderator:
middle eastern dish, "Fasoolya bil Laham" . means beans in meat. A hearty stew in a san marzano tomato base, seasoned in middle eastern style "bharat"

on brown basmati :)

proxy.php

Tomorrow night's dinner: peri-peri chicken.

I have just made the marinade, six large red chillis, half of which are de-seeded the other half as nature intended. Chop roughly and into a saucepan. Add two cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of salt, a large pinch of sugar, 2 teaspoons paprika and 2 teaspoons of dried oregano. 100ml EVOO and 50ml red wine vinegar. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about 5 mins, then allow to cool. Into a blender and blend till a smooth paste.

Take some chicken bits - I have whole legs today - and place in a ziplock bag with the marinade, into the fridge for 24 hours.

Tomorrow I will roast them in the oven for about 35 - 40 mins, but I would imagine they would be equally good BBQ'd.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Baked beans and deviled eggs at the same meal!

Jim's family obviously runs on high octane

Looks wonderful!

A luncheon for mums Birthday today-

Baked beans

some sides

Glazed ham

Nio photo of the salad desserts and coffee- too tired by then!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rushman that marinade sounds potent. What are you having for sides?

Mike - the marinade is milder than it would seem, although having lived in SE Asia for 15 years my tolerance for chilli heat is fairly high(!) It does have a bold flavour and a bit of a kick, but nothing excessive. Last night I roasted some root vegetables at the same time, carrots and parsnips just with EVOO, salt, pepper and thyme and a bowl of green salad with a lemon vinaigrette as we are trying to be healthy...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love roasted root veg and I can tolerate salad. How does your meal compare to what your neighbours are having?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom