What's new

Whats Cooking? 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boxing Day dinner with the in laws.
Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes, brussels with bacon, mushrooms.
The usual fixins.

proxy.php

A Christmas Day leftover gumbo type dealey - leftover smoked chicken and turkey, stock made from the carcasses, roux made from bacon fat (from homemade bacon), some chorizo from a local market, onions, sweet pepper, celery... Usual deal. Smells pretty good!

I got a good haul of cookbooks for Christmas and after too many days with the in-laws I'm ready to use them. I asked the bride to flip through Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi and mark a few recipes that looked good. This is what she came up with:

She wanted creamy corn polenta with eggplant sauce, so I turned this

into this (with a chicken sausage and some wine for good measure)

The eggplant was awesome. Couldn't taste the feta under the corn, and I wasn't impressed with the soft polenta consistency. I think it would be just as good with regular polenta. The bride was happy (and I'll eat anything) so this one gets the blue star to do again.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Inevitable at this time of year. Turkey soup.

2 finely chopped green onions
1 diced carrot
2 tbsp olive oil

Cook carrots and green onions in olive oil to soften. Then add:
1 box chicken broth
2 cups of water
1 cup or so pasta of your choice
1/4 tsp white pepper or to taste
1/8 tsp cayanne
1 tbsp dried parsley
shake or two poultry spice
3 cups chopped turkey left overs

bring to a boil and then simmer until pasta is done (about 20 minutes). I thickened it a bit with corn starch. I could have made a roux with the oil or butter and 1/4 cup of flour in the first part and then used half and half or milk instead of the two cups of water.

$Turkey Soup.jpg

Big breakfast for a big day ahead:
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Open faced ham sammie
  • Farmer's market sweet hots. Do pickles count as a vegetable?

$DSC03377.jpg

Cote de beouf, potatoes roasted in duck fat and Vichy carrots... For two. Got enough beouf left for sandwiches tomorrow (but only just!)

That looks like meat heaven, I think I hear singing and see a aura around it lol.

I think you were right, I am sure I heard singing as well. With all due modesty I have to say it was bloody good. I should have poured the meat juices from the pan before I took the picture, just too greedy to dig into it!!

Coq Au Vin.

Great excuse to break out the new 14" De Buyer Mineral Fry Pan I just got this week. Love being able to brown an entire cut up chicken at the same time in one pan!

Just saw that there was a 2013 thread that has been started. Oops!

Last edited:
Cinnamon rolls and cinnamon sticky buns.

I managed to go overboard on the icing, I'm pretty sure no one will complain.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom