What's new

Whats Cooking? 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't roast many chickens as it is just me and I don't want all the extra meat. But Cornish hens were on sale for 99 cents a pound so I had slight CHAD and bought 4 of em.

I like to heat up a cast iron as the oven heats, I slice the legs slightly away from the rest of the body then put the chicken in a hot pan. That way the legs get a head start with the cooking and the white and dark are done at the same time. It doesn't do much for the presentation but it cooked great. My picture is not so good, it looked browner in real life. :001_cool:

Side of acorn squash and rice.

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't roast many chickens as it is just me and I don't want all the extra meat. But Cornish hens were on sale for 99 cents a pound so I had slight CHAD and bought 4 of em.

I didn't want too much meat so I only bought four of them.

Spoken like a true B&B lifer. :thumbup:

I like to heat up a cast iron as the oven heats, I slice the legs slightly away from the rest of the body then put the chicken in a hot pan. That way the legs get a head start with the cooking and the white and dark are done at the same time. It doesn't do much for the presentation but it cooked great. My picture is not so good, it looked browner in real life. :001_cool:

Side of acorn squash and rice.

proxy.php

That is a nice looking bird.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Beef Wellington - Pic Heavy so put your seatbelt and oven mitts on...

This is Gordon Ramsay's recipe.

I started out with an approx. 2lb. piece of filet mignon seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
[/URL]

I used about 3/4 of a pound of crimini mushrooms and gave them a fine chop in the food processor

[/URL]

[/URL]

Into the skillet they go and cooked them up to remove the water which I drained out and them put the 'shrooms on a plate to cool them off. I also patted them down with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.

[/URL]

Then the meat goes in the pan with a little olive oil and is seared on all sides

[/URL]

[/URL]

Just a quick sear and then I remove the string
[/URL]

While the meat is cooling down, I laid out some cellophane wrap and laid out my layers of prosciutto (about 8 pieces)

[/URL]

While the meat is cooling off, I spread out the finely chopped mushrooms over the prosciutto

[/URL]

Then you take the Colman's Mustard (according to Chef Ramsay, you don't use a Dijon mustard with an English dish like beef wellington. Who am I to question Chef Ramsay? If I did, I could just hear is response: :censored:

[/URL]

The meat is brushed with the mustard and them placed on the 'shrooms and prosciutto

[/URL]

Then you roll it tight and into the fridge for 15 minutes

[/URL]

While that's in the fridge setting up, lay out your puff pastry dough on a well-floured surface ( I used a Pepperidge Farm pre-made puff pastry)

[/URL]

Then remove the cellophane wrap and place the meat in the center of the puff pastry and brush the exposed dough with your eggwash

[/URL]

Roll the dough over the meat, placing the seam on the bottom. Then cover the rest of the dough with the eggwash

[/URL]

Once covered with eggwash, back into the fridge for another 15 minutes to let the dough settle down

[/URL]

Once out of the fridge, the top is scored and covered again with more eggwash

[/URL]

The whole thing goes on baking tray and into the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 350 degrees for 15 minutes and after removing from the oven let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

Out of the oven

[/URL]

Onto to serving dish

[/URL]

and ready to serve

[/URL]

As Jim says, it was PDG. (It ain't Julia Child but hey, we're trying. :wink:)

[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the pics, that looks awesome. Looks like it would meet with Chef Ramsey's approval. :biggrin1: I bet everyone loved it

Weather is cooling down, so time for soup!

Julia Child's Onion Soup recipe served over french bread (didn't have time to make my own this weekend) and topped with Jarlsberg cheese.

Last edited:
I grilled up a hanger steak with a raspberry chipotle sauce, grilled eggplant (topped with olive oil, parsley and raw garlic) and grilled zucchini (o/o and a Cajun rub). Gotta take advantage of the local veggies now.

Roasted Leg quarter with red currant/red pepper jelly glaze, garlic spinach with raisans. I also had acorn squarsh which is not in the pic.

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom