What's new

Gold Dollar Honing Passaround

Sorry homie brain fArT!! My bad-was thinking of "ladykate" for some reason. I get you two guys mixed up for some reason.

Uhhhh... I'm the older one - you can tell us apart by the wrinkles. :lol::lol:

To summarize, do we need another GD for the honing pass-around? I have several to choose from. Could also just throw one in anyway.

Not sure there are many people left and there's a razor Phil dropped into the mix. I had it and sent it to Paco yesterday. Should be there by tomorrow I'd guess.

i received the GD last week and had a nice shave with the edge david put on it.....

now it sits freshly honed.... coti then jnat....

who pray tell is the next victim??

If there is room on the list, and a possibility of getting it to Australia, I'd love to have a look/play with one.
I have 5 on the way to play with, and I'd like to see what a good shaving and functional GD looks and feels like.

I won't be able to put an edge on it, but I'm pretty confident of not ruining it :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Bendragon wants in, but shipping might be killers for a 5 dollar razor ;)

Hey Brian (Paco), can you take some pictures of that blade and post them? What do you and Obiwan think of my corrections?

Phil

Well that's what this pif is for, to give people a chance to make there own opinion from experience. Even the experts say they give a mediocre shave compared to high end brands and vintages. You can't even talk about these razors on other sites because people were fighting too much about their qualities lol.

I think this is neat idea for a pif. Good chance to learn about the most controversial razor ever made! lol[/QUOTE

Personally, while they take a lot of work to hone, GD's hold a nice edge. And the shave is comparable to my DOVO and second hand german and sheffield steel. IMO this is the best razor to come out of SE Asia.

Even the experts say they give a mediocre shave compared to high end brands and vintages.

I think the term 'mediocre' is... well... interesting. In using relative terms like this, I would say that the worst GD I have was 'good' and that is comparing it to some high-end steel that I own. Perhaps there is a reluctance to classify a $4 razor's edge in the same category as a an over-priced vanity razor. Having said that, I think I have better razors in *some* of the high-end stuff... but I wouldn't say the GD is 'mediocre' in comparison. I don't keep mediocre razors. I keep GDs and they are in my rotation. But then again, the terms are relative so what the heck do I know?

I believe I was next, but I would pass now. Would like someone else to try Paco's edge. I can be the next one.

Hey Brian (Paco), can you take some pictures of that blade and post them? What do you and Obiwan think of my corrections?

Phil

I like the fact that you got the scales to quiet down. That's a nice tip for those not looking to rescale.

Top Bottom