What's new

Questions on shorter razor

Greetings,
So I FINALLY had the time to try shaving with the razor Blix sent me, and a few thoughts, and one question to the general public.
Thought one: It is a bit scary that I now have several odd slices at angles that I didn't use. I was certainly shaved, but curious on how I managed to cut myself in quite this special way.
Thought two: Styptic pencils hurt, bad. Well, not horribly, but I certainly wasn't expecting the sort of burn that was provided.
Thought three: As I shave around my beard (cheeks, neck from neckline down), the razor that was sent to me is a bit longer than I expected. And while I will keep it forever as my first real razor, it certainly got me curious. While I will be getting used to straight shaving, I am wondering if there are razors with.. umm.. stubbier blades? Maybe just 2" or so across, or about double a DE razor?

Ah, and thought four: I certainly like the sound the razor makes as it cut the hair. Very satisfying. :)

Yes there are straights of every size and shape. The Japanese Kamisori are 50mm to 60mm on average for cutting blade or you can have the blade trimmed on the razor you have to whatever length you would like. Those razors shortened are called shorties and sometimes you find them for sale or you can buy a blade and have it trimmed as well. There are no limits but your own imagination.

Aha, I have seen those Kamisori pop-up in the BST. I will pay closer attention next time. As for trimming the blade, I would have to buy another blade for that (not a big deal) since I couldn't trim the blade I have now. :) I will also look for "shorties." So I thank you for the information. I also will aim for 50mm to 60mm, instead of inches as that seems to be a common unit of measurement. >_< Blast you rest of the world and your Metric! Well, that and fractions, lol.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Blix puts a sharp edge on his razors. Just touching your skin for a moment can leave a cut, especially if you have shaky hands :).

I actually have a shorty I never use. Come to think of it. I should hone it up and try using it. I would suggest you just get use to a regular straight, as you wouldn't want to have to cut down all your razors in the future :).

I have a Fredrick Rynolds shortly that I had to cut a little over a 5/8" off to remove a crack, it's still waiting for scales at the moment. I love the look of the short blades.

Heres a pic of it next to a standard W&B.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Oh, that is very nice. I never would have thought that they were special, or special made. I guess I have gotten used to finding a market whenever I found a want. :p I have one extra razor I got by mistake (it is junk), but I suppose I can practice breaking that, see how well it goes, or have it cut until I find a good size. That way I have no loss of anything that humanity might find valuable.

Also, thanks for the link to the thread. Very nice stuff in there. And I will get used to longer blades eventually, as this long blade is awesome for the throat. (no real cuts on the throat, just my cheek, so that was good). But on my cheek, I will have to work some angles until I get this shorty thing going.

Top Bottom