What's new

Switching Razors mid-shave... Blasphemous?

Fellas! OK, in the mail came a 1967 Gillette Ball-End Tech and a 1970 Gillette Super Speed. After a rigorous cleaning, I had them loaded with new shrapnel and ready to go. Now, how is a man supposed to decide between the two!? I started the shave with the 1970 SS and finished with the 1967 Tech. I had a lot of fun trying them both BUT... I am still a tadpole to DE Shaving, did I break a hallowed code or anything? Is 1 shave 1 razor an unwritten rule? Curious... -wolfey

Heck No! No Rules broken, your face, your shave do what works for you. I can understand your excitement too. I think I would have have wanted to try both razors.

Last edited:
If it works for you, it's all good. This is a good way to experiment with what blade/razor works best for you, so you don't have to wait until your facial hair grows back to try out another combo.

After I started to destroy my neck with my new R41 the first time I used it I switched to the Fatboy.

if i'm having a bad shave or just not feeling it, i'll grab another razor that is bladed up or throw the blade in a different razor.

nothing wrong with what you did or are doing....

Heh, heh. I ran to the end of my Valet's blade this morning, and switched over to my new 1912 Gem. To say I tore my arse up would be gross understatement.:crying:

I've switched mid-stream before, but I think I'll hold off trying that again until I get a better feel for my classics.

What -- you don't change razors and blades at least three times for each shave??? You really are a novice.:scared:

Some guys actually advocate for using different razors for every shave. Routinely.

Tool for the job, they say. Use an aggressive razor for the first pass to decrease stubble as much as possible, then use progressively milder razors for subsequent passes/touch-up.

So, I'd have to say you didn't break any rules at all.

I was just wondering about this question, posted it over in safety razors. It occurred to me when I went in the shower (where I shave) with two different razors, just because I was guessing--correctly as it turns out--that the first one would be awful. So I tried a Segal with a NOS Segal blade, and then used a Krona for the first time to finish up, since the Segal I had to dismiss after about three strokes.

That Krona's nice, though.

And then the idea Kingfisher mentions about using a milder razor for subsequent passes occurred to me. I'm going to experiment with that.

Heck, I've modified the blade mid-shave. I used a straight razor and made one pass, then stropped it, then made another pass. It was delightful, and I might do it again next time.

Top Bottom