What's new

First shave in 2012

I just finished my last shave of 2011. I am not going to shave the 31st so my next shave will be in the new year.

Anybody gave it any thought? I know I did; 2011 was for me the year of using up unwanted and forgotten stuff, mostly soaps/creams and blades, and I am looking forward (shave-wise) to the next year; I worked my way through close to a hundred blades (including 20+ disposables that came as freebees) and some blades were just horrible. It honed my technique a little more and it cleaned my den but man, am I looking forward to 2012!!

The choices available are mind-boggling so I am not sure yet what it is gonna be but it is gonna be special for sure!

How about you gents?

I am still committed to cold water shaving. My last 4 shaves in December were cold water shaves that worked great! My first 2012 shave will be the first time I'm using my:

Edwin Jagger DE 89 barley chrome handle ( I've mostly been using my plain handle EJ 89).
Simpson Berkeley brush in best badger
Euro Palmolive shave soap stick

The rest of the year I will be going through my many blade samplers. To date, Polsilvers, Astra Sp, and Red Ip have been my favorites. Derby and Crystal blades were terrible for me.

I will also use 2012 to sell the following items that didn't quite work for me: Goodfella razor, MWF soap ( allergic to the lanolin), and may unload my Merkur Hd 34c.

My main purchase for 2012 will be the Muhle 89 razor with the rose gold handle when it becomes available.

I know I am going to buy less for sure. I have done well in 2011 and want to enjoy the products I have...I do need to try some more blades though. I am not sure what I will use for the first shave of 2012, but I do know I am going to use my birth razor, a 1970 P-1 Gold Super Adjustable on January 10th (my birthday) which I received in the mail today!

My first 2012 shave has been decided, as I'm playing a New Year's Eve party about 70 miles from home. My wife and I got a bed & breakfast booked, and I've already packed my shave kit. Once I leave home I can't change my mind.
It will be: '64 Slim Adjustable ( birth year), Gillette Yellow, Arko, Clubman. Simple and classic.
Oh, and happy birthday in advance, simmonds!

Last edited:
New barley DE89 with my new tub of cella and a yellow sharp edge finished with vigaroso.
I will stick with my feather SS tomorrow though with castle Forbes lime.

Mine will probably be a two-part episode as I'm seriously considering dumping the modern
razors for classic. Tomorrow will be the Slant with a Red IP & Sunday the EJ89 with a Feather.
I'm breaking out the Mama Bear's Lavender & Oakmoss for the occasion(s), finishing with
some Floid or Clubman.

for 2012 i think im going to junk all my nice stuff and go real old school...... gonna spit on a sharp rock and shave with that.....whos got two thumbs and is gonna have a b/a shave:thumbup:......this guy

I think I am going to keep it simple as well. The rebel in me wants Williams with a Merkur blade but my burgundy half is more thinking D.R. Harris with a Souplex blade. The razor will be either my Gillette old type or my vintage Gladweg. And Old Spice for my first shave in 2012 will do fine too.

I have been on a journey of using product as well- in particular shave soap. This year I managed to get through a few pucks and I am halfway through a small puck of Gold Dachs at the moment. Using the same soap each day means that one can get the best from it performance-wise and really make an informed decision as to whether or not it is worth replacing once the puck is finished. This morning I had a rogue shave with a puck of Harris' Marlborough but tomorrow for January 1st I will be back to the Gold Dachs, a Merkur razor, a Simpson brush and Harris AS.

Happy New Year to all!

I will be shaving with my Dad's 1955 Red Tip. I just got it from him (along with a '50 SS), and he treated it and the '50 very well. The '50 cleaned up very well and so will the Red Tip. My last shave of 2011 will be the '50. I can't wait. I've recently caught the SE bug, so I will be buying my second SE, probably a 1914 ER or a Damaskeene - I have a Featherweight I absolutely love. I will be selling my Futur - going vintage all the way.

Back to basics all the way

Gramps 100+ year old Swedish steel
Old Spice Tallow
Everready Boar
Old Spice after shave (Shulton)

I hadn't much thought about it until you raised the point. I am within striking distance of finishing a tub of TOBS Mr. Taylors and was planning to keep going with it until I was done. However, seeing as how I normally change my blade and cream on Sundays AND this Sunday happens to also be the start of a new year, I can't help but think that I ought also to start with a new tub of cream, probably TOBS Shaving Shop rather than start the year with a waning tub. Sort of an uptick vs downtick dilemma. Then, after a week or so, after the "tone" for the year has been set, so to speak, I can go back to the Mr. Taylors and finish him off.

Cheers!
-Greg

I'm still new at this so I'm keeping my setup locked. I will be using a Merkur 34C, TBS Maca cream, and an EJ Best Badger brush.

I'll probably keep the Derby that's in there now as it's seen only two shaves, but I'll need to change blades to something else soon as I'm running out of them. Fortunately I have a big sampler to look through.

For my first shave of 2012 I used a Dovo Special, Tabac soap, stoneware bowl from the Salvation Army ($1), Ever-Ready 69 with a TGN finest knot, Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel and Nivea ASB. I got a beautiful BBS shave (3 passes). If all of my shaves this year are this comfortable then it will be a great year for shaving.

Happy New Year to all of you and may you start the new year with a great shave!

For all of you "newbies", take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt and remember that YMMV. Decide what works for you and stick with it. Not everyone finds the same razor comfortable. Same with blades. There are soaps and creams that may irritate your skin. After shaves and fragrances that smell good on someone else may not react favourably with your chemical makeup and stink to high heaven.

The great thing about wet shaving is that there are so many products out there (hardware and software), that you can keep experimenting until you find what works best for you. Enjoy your shaves for 2012!

Stu

It took me a while but I reached this decision;

- Proraso pre sensitive
- Vulfix 2189 boar brush
- Williams mug soap
- Gillette Old Type
- Big Ben blade
- Old Spice AS

I almost had forgotten how well modern Williams treats me.......A nice start of the new shaving year!

I have QCS Hanami lined up, and will most likely use either a Vero (a very obscure Dutch brush, though Talibeard might know it) or a TGN badger knotted home made brush.
Probably will use the rose gold R41 with the old Feathers.

The Hanami and the QCS are two of my last acquired items in 2011, so that's a good reason to use them as starters.

......Vero (a very obscure Dutch brush, though Talibeard might know it).....

I do not just know them, I have one and tell you what; it was my first brush ever!!! It is nice though a bit of a shedder and too long lofted for my taste now.

Top Bottom