What's new

I love it when a shave comes together! Serendipitous BBS shave this morning

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I always get a good shave, DFS, when I use familiar products. It's blasphemy, I know, but I don't rotate razors AT ALL -- every morning it's the EJ DE89 head on my Bob's Razor Works XXL flare-tip handle. I pretty much only use my supply of Gillette Blue or Black Super Plats now. I pretty much only use Tabac, RazoRock Linea Officina, and TOBS creams. I just find that sticking with what I know helps me get consistent good shaves. I don't really go for BBS, I just don't try that hard, but a DFS is my minimum, normally with no nicks, weepers, or irritation.

Well, today was a leisurely morning, I've had a light work schedule the week between Christmas an New Year. So today, after my shower I put on some shave oil, which I have not done in about 4 months (just don't find it necessary) and went downstairs to get a cup of coffee.

Back upstairs and grabbed the C.O. Bigelow just for a change of Pace (got tired of several days of TOBS Avocado). I was on my second shave with a NOS Schick Plus Platinum blade in said razor. Because I had let my face dry a bit after the shower, and because of the oil, I lathered up with the Bigelow and let it sit while I read a WSJ editorial, sipping my coffee.

Touched up the lather, and grabbed the razor and I swear I could hear angels singing! Just not being in a hurry and being totally in the moment while shaving (the only time I get nicked, ever, is if I'm distracted and thinking about work or something) made such a difference. And perhaps the shave oil, I'm not a big believer in it, generally speaking which is why I rarely bother with it, just going straight from shower to sink.

But today? Wow! Smooth perfection. Three very light passes, a little touch up--half the time I normally take with it, and, Holy Smokes! The elusive BBS. And I do mean all over, no missed spots no stubble anywhere. It was perhaps the most perfect shave I have ever had. It was about 4-5 hours before I could just begin to sense any stubble at all even on my jawline.

It was so sublime, I just had to share it with you! No effort, no goals in mind, just an almost accidentally perfect shave. The rest of the day has been affected by it, as well, I'm in a much better frame of mind today. Fun!

Last edited:
Nice! Maybe I should try pre shave oil again? I got a EJ DE89L for Christmas, and while it's beautiful and shaves nice, it's just not nearly as close a shaver as I'd hoped it would be... grumble.

John

Thanks for sharing, John! Grats on the BBS.

This is what it's all about! And you are pleased to boot. Have an awesome day :)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Great job! Maybe I'll try some oil today as well. I'm sure the oil was just a tiny fraction of several things that you did different. The extended lather time, being relaxed and not rushed, it all adds up.

The difference between DFS and BBS is extremely small if you could measure it, but the difference in how it makes me feel is HUGE! Have a great rest of the day. :001_smile

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nice! Maybe I should try pre shave oil again? I got a EJ DE89L for Christmas, and while it's beautiful and shaves nice, it's just not nearly as close a shaver as I'd hoped it would be... grumble.

John

I will tell you handle weight matters. Apparently, it matters a lot. When I put that head on the BRW handle it turned it into a professional's power tool. It's like shaving with a DeWalt.

I don't really know if the oil mattered or not, it probably helped because I did not jump from shower to sink without drying my face. It has been my experience that when I go right from the shower to the sink the oil did not matter, which is why I quit using it. I do suspect leaving the lather on my face for a few minutes rather than jumping directly into the shave helped.

Just being relaxed, and not particularly 'revved up' mentally speaking, was likely the biggest factor. Who knows? I really suggest that your shaves will improve a ton if you stick to a couple of similar razors and a few products. Repeatability is huge in this activity, I think.

As I sit here, at 5:10 PM, my face feels like it normally does in the office around 10:30 most mornings. I think there is a reason that Proraso/Bigelow is something of a standard other lather products are measured against, though. I may work that into the rotation more often.

I think there is a reason that Proraso/Bigelow is something of a standard other lather products are measured against, though. I may work that into the rotation more often.
I have been mixing the Proraso soap with CO Bigelow cream for my last two shaves and it's been the best lather I've ever whipped up! Definitely something to it. Congrats on the great serendipitous results!

Congratulations on your surprise BBS. The best way to achieve that - IMHO - is by not trying. Additional kudos for sticking with what works for you. There is nothing wrong with having a nice collection of razors, brushes, creams and soaps, etc., but it isn't a requirement for enjoying every shave.
I'm with you on using the same EJ razor and brush for very shave at home and a separate EJ setup just for traveling.
Same blades and same choices of creams and soaps ... although I will confess to wanting to try a few more creams and a few more soaps.
Here's to many more surprise BBS shaves in your future.

I raise my shave mug in your honor Sir! Congrats on achieving the Holy Grail of our daily routine! -wolfey

C. O. Bigelow has been one of my daily Uberlather ingredients every morning for at least half a year now. It's fantastic stuff. Thanks for sharing, John; and congratulations on the BBS shave!

Top Bottom