What's new

My straight razor tattoo

Nice stories behind the straight razor tattoo. I didn't expect such a significant meaning, where the daily reminder is always right there.

A straight razor has a few traditional tattoo meanings. First, it was around before the "straight edge" thing came about.

The straight razor traditionally means that the wearer has habits, addictions, or a lifestyle that could cut his own throat. Or, that the wearer USED to behave in a way that was cutting his own throat. And therefore, won't hesitate to cut yours if you cross him. Or that the tattoo is there to remind the wearer that if he takes up his old habits, he's going to be cutting his own throat.

the razor, brass knuckles, and billy club with "love thy neighbor" has the ironic meaning that people are untrustworthy and one must be willing to use these weapons to protect oneself from being taken advantage of. Symbolically, of course. Neighbors get along better when their behavior can be put in check.

Sort of....

Excellent post! That's the best explanation for the design I've heard. It highlights the history and rationale behind the symbolism very succinctly. Cheers!

Pete

You are welcome!

I work the front desk in a tattoo shop on Saturday. I'm lucky to be around a bunch of seasoned tattooers who tell me some interesting stories about tattoos and meanings and such.

Of course, in the USA, don't forget that a lot of tattoos that HAD meaning now are worn just because the wearer thinks they are cool. Which is fine... but don't assume that someone wearing a straight razor tattoo has been an alcoholic or drug addict or womanizer, and don't assume that someone wearing a spider web has been in jail or also an addict.... chances are that they just like the look nowadays...

Top Bottom